Recommendations on how to update User info for next year

lehmanp00
Contributor III

We will not be wiping iPads this summer, therefore we will need to update all of our student user info once next year starts. We use LDAP mappings for a bunch of things...Building = Company, Room = Description etc..

Is there a way other than going thru all 5820 ipads and clicking on the magnifying glass to update each user?

10 REPLIES 10

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Take a look at this...http://jssmut.weebly.com

fair disclosure...I know the software works but do not have as much info as I'd like to say it's going to work for what you are trying. Test this on a small batch on your development instance first.

bumbletech
Contributor III

http://jssmut.weebly.com/

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Tangent question...

There is a Department LDAP mapping in JSS, however, it doesn't seem to map to a user field in JSS. There is a Department field in 'User and Location' but that is used for the JSS internal Departments you create. Any ideas where the LDAP department is used in JSS?

bumbletech
Contributor III

When the device does its inventory update it will pull in all of that stuff from your LDAP server.

EDIT: When you update just the username, that is.

RLR
Valued Contributor

I have a similar issue but is mainly due to leavers. I put in a request to have a way of updating LDAP information manually as it only updates when the user device checks in.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/22175/updating-users-ldap-information

I use the "Position" JSS mapping to link the AD Department field for users.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Did some testing. Doesn't look like MUT updates any of the info but the field you specify during the run. And there are only these fields:
Username
Full Name
Email
Position
Phone #.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Like @RLR I primarily use the position field as it is both a device and user field.

As for updating multiple fields, simply run the utility more than once using different csvs is what I would recommend, not terribly efficient as say what a script would do, but better than me developing one and debugging it or worse doing it by hand. As for other fields, it can do more depending on what you choose. For instance if you choose that you want to update iOS devices, you would get this pic

31f250448d584ec9b03521662b022941

If you choose that you want to update users, you would get this pic:

ad7b34fea8fc457a8a780e4cbfd600ea

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I didn't even look at the device stuff in MUT! Ok there are all the fields. We have all that info in AD, it would be much easier if we could just get the JSS to re-sync that data as it is updated in AD. But making a bunch of .csv's looks like the only way to do it for now.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I tell you what...this app is somewhat of a Godsend to me. My scripting knowledge is limited especially with the API. I have 2 or 3 scripts that were developed for me with help that did multiple things, but sadly until I have time to study those, write my own and debug it and get them to always work, I love that someone else did some of that crapwork and put a nice friendly GUI on it for me even if it does take multiple steps to get what I want...still better than doing that sort of crap by hand.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Working with my Admin, I figured a few things out.

1. The Department LDAP field will only work if there is a matching Department created in JSS. Example:

LDAP field is Phone Number mapped to department field in JSS. That same value needs to be created as a department in JSS. When you re-fresh the LDAP info in User and Location it will then populate the LDAP department field correctly. Even though it is actually a JSS department entry.

1. My Admin thinks he can create a script that will call LDAP and then, using the API, update any fields in JSS we need. He has already created a proof-of-concept that works.