Recon error The search for mobile device data at path /Users/x/Library/Application Support/ failed

MNussbaum
New Contributor III

I've seen this error randomly over various versions of macOS when triggering recon manually. In the past I was able to clear it up by removing the Backup folder, but now I can't even do that because it says operation not permitted.

The search for mobile device data at path /Users/x/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup failed:Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=257 "The file “Backup” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it." UserInfo={NSUserStringVariant=(

Folder

), NSURL=file:///Users/x/Library/Application%20Support/MobileSync/Backup, NSFilePath=/Users/x/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f98254d1220 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted"}}

Any idea what is going on here and what the solution is? Been seeing it for a while so hoping it is a known issue.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

channy-cl
New Contributor III

We were facing the same error and could not figure out the cause.

Just now did an experiment and believe we found the fix!

I think the below setting is causing Jamf to try look into the mobile device backup details and fail

Jamf Pro Settings -> Computer Management -> Inventory collection -> Collect last backup date/time for managed mobile devices that are synced to computers

We disabled the setting and the error is gone.
I am really hoping this will also fix the issue with our devices that checking-in but not syncing inventory :|

Hope this helps!

@channy-cl wrote:

We were facing the same error and could not figure out the cause.

Just now did an experiment and believe we found the fix!

I think the below setting is causing Jamf to try look into the mobile device backup details and fail

Jamf Pro Settings -> Computer Management -> Inventory collection -> Collect last backup date/time for managed mobile devices that are synced to computers

We disabled the setting and the error is gone.
I am really hoping this will also fix the issue with our devices that checking-in but not syncing inventory :|

Hope this helps!

Perfect that was it for our shop!