Recon failed during the submit process

jbestine
New Contributor III

I've been noticing that a couple of the machines I'm recon'ing into Casper are using the JSS Computer ID. These devices are on different subnets. Users are in different OUs in our AD. Models are completely different (iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook AIR).

If I have one of my other colleagues run the individual recon on one while I do the other, one of us will receive the following error:

Recon failed to submit to the JSS. ...
Locating Mobile Device records ...
Submitting data to <SERVER ADDRESS> ... There was an error submitting the computer to the JSS. Here is what the JSS reported back:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <jamfServlet version="8.4" server="Apache Tomcat/7.0.12"> <institution>Harvard University</institution> <epoch>1331751104</epoch> <response>Bad username or password</response>

<sessionLastError></sessionLastError> </jamfServlet>

I recreated my Quick Add, made sure each machine has the correct admin password. I also tried deleting the records from the JSS and re-adding them, but each time, the data from one replaces the other. I also ran a repair on the database to see if that would help, but the JSS is reporting that all is well.

I'm running JSS v 8.4 and Recon v 8.4

3 REPLIES 3

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We had a similar problem. If the hidden admin account exists and the password is wrong, a QuickAdd won't "fix" the password. We had to remove the account and then reinstall the QuickAdd package.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

Apfelpom
New Contributor III

I also had the bad username password error, we discussed and solved the problem in this thread https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3921.

jbestine
New Contributor III

Well, I contacted tech support who suggested to boot the machines in Safe mode to clear out some of the system caches, etc. (See Below). Unfortunately, that didn't work.

The reason I was working on this is I'm seeing some machines that are coming up using the same JSS Computer ID. If I run recon on computer 1, it fills in the data about that computer into computer 2's record. I've tried deleting the record, restarting tomcat, repairing the database. I've been running subnet scans to get these in so maybe that's the issue. When I image a machine through, it shows me a number of computers that doesn't really match I can see in the inventory. If I look at my whole inventory I see 320 when the machine JSS Computer ID is up to 340. We're so new at using this software, the numbers should be pretty much spot on or maybe 5 or 10 less in what I can see since we've removed some machines. The computers in question are running different operating systems and on completely different subnets. Some are brand new and some have been in the field for at least 3 years.

Hi Jeannine,

Thanks for contacting us regarding regarding the bad username/password error we're seeing. I had a case recently that was throwing the same error (only 1 machine out of 200). Suffice it to say, we couldn't find the exact reasoning for it. However, they found positive results after rebooting a machine that was throwing this error but held down the 'shift' key while doing so. According to apple this clears the cache among other things:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

After this was done, they attempted to re-recon/re-enroll the machine and were successful. If you'd like to give this a shot, let us know how it goes.

Thanks a lot,
-Jason
JAMF Software