Remote Forced Check-in

mmolenda
New Contributor III

This is kinda complicated, but the Mac is not checking in every 15 minutes.  In fact, it hasn't checked in since Mid-December, but a few management commands have run. 

Is there a way to remote force a check in without removing in and running the sudo command?  It would seemingly have to be a configuration policy?  Since it is only one user, I should be able (if responsive) to remote in and run it the terminal, but if the user isn't responsive, I still want it to check in since there have been updates that need to be installed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottlep
Contributor II

We see this often, usually for Macs that haven't been restarted in a long time. Email the user and ask them to restart the Mac. We see it often enough that I have smart groups for when devices haven't checked in for 7, 14, 21, 30 days. When they hit 21+ days I look at the last check-in time compared to the last successful MDM command. If MDM is current and check-in is not then I email the user and ask them to restart. We have a policy to run inventory at start-up/sign-in so the Mac usually completes the inventory and is good to go.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Redeploy the management framework using the API.

scottlep
Contributor II

We see this often, usually for Macs that haven't been restarted in a long time. Email the user and ask them to restart the Mac. We see it often enough that I have smart groups for when devices haven't checked in for 7, 14, 21, 30 days. When they hit 21+ days I look at the last check-in time compared to the last successful MDM command. If MDM is current and check-in is not then I email the user and ask them to restart. We have a policy to run inventory at start-up/sign-in so the Mac usually completes the inventory and is good to go.

mmolenda
New Contributor III

So, this user is in India and I remote in yesterday and did a manual check in.  As part of that, I told the user to reboot.  Now, it's showing the last check in as 6 minutes ago.  So, it is finally back on a good rotation.  So, I think you are correct that it needed to be re-booted.  I will instruct my users to reboot once a week just as good practice.  

pete_c
Contributor III

Did the MDM expire and fail to renew? Computers Inventory > General > MDM Profile Expiration Date

Rich has (as always) a good write-up which may be useful. https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2023/06/24/manually-triggering-mdm-profile-renewal-with-jamf-pro/#...

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

This is a symptom of a deeper problem. I would suggest rebooting the device before trying anything more extreme as long uptimes will cause this.

mmolenda
New Contributor III

A reboot, I think is what it needed. Thank you.