Remote Install Software

Ricky
Contributor

Hello everyone;

We are a K-12 school district looking to provide "at home" support during usual business hours. Our teachers have their Macbooks at home, and we have a strictly on-prem JAMF environment. Device externally can check into JAMF, and do so as it is.

We are looking to install TeamViewer as we just purchased the enterprise package for the IT Team. Is there a way to install this via command line? All of our devices are running Mojave 10.14.6.

3 REPLIES 3

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

i do believe teamviewer has command line tools & you can run scripts externally from jamf (i believe). With that said, you should be able to push out a script including your teamviewer package hosted externally by teamviewer & you can get these details from your teamviewer dashboard.

If you can't make an external jamf dp & I'm wrong about my first statement, you're going to need to spin up a non-jamf temporary externally available dp & then run a script via jamf policy using something like a curl command on all the machines downloading that package and then use another script to install locally & configure using the workflow you need detailed by teamviewer in the link below.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Mass-deployment-on-macOS/ta-p/50739

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

When yo say “on prem”, can I find out whether your JSS 100% on campus? In other words does MBM functionality work off the campus but your distribution point work solely on campus... That’s where we were essentially.and I am working to spin up an off-campus distribution point, for Mac installations. If it’s 100% on campus with no mdm, consider spinning up a limited access JSS web instance in the DMZ: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/174/installing-a-jamf-pro-web-application-in-the-dmz

Support can talk you through this if they are still open

Ricky
Contributor

@blackholemac Correct, we have an external facing JSS so devices can do checkins and the sort, but we can not push any packages out to people at home. Is the document you linked for opening up one of our servers publicly so data can be downloaded? I definitely think that's the way we should be taking this. Hosting through JAMF/AWS is too expensive for us as we are a school district.