Remote Management Message On Lock Screen

ChrisRupert
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Has anyone else encountered this yet and has a fix or work around?

On the lock screen of an iOS 11 device (that is managed and supervised) a box appears at the bottom that says "This device is managed remotely. You can leave remote management in Settings."

This message could be very bad if students see this. Has anyone figured out a way to remove the message or even modify it? I'd be happy leaving the first sentence and removing the second :)

16 REPLIES 16

tdclark
Contributor

This box comes from your Config Profile for those devices. Check there under Lock Screen Message.

ChrisRupert

Nope. That message isn't coming from the lock screen setup.

e43f87cc3e174fb5bab878c4c2270306

miregan
Contributor II

I set a lock screen message on our devices and do not see a remote management message on lock screens. Our devices arent locked behind a passcode though so not sure if thats why I have no seen it.

ChrisRupert

No passcodes on the devices. The only time I saw it was a user initiated enrollment (I wonder if that has something to do with it).

miregan
Contributor II

Possibly because all of our devices are enrolled via DEP.

ChrisRupert

Ditto....with iOS 11 you can add any device into your DEP that you wish (and our Special Ed Dept decided to purchase an iPad and instead of going through us as usual, they purchased it 3rd party). Luckily you can enroll it via dep but it takes a few extra steps to do it.

miregan
Contributor II

You can enroll it via DEP but they have the option of opting out of it for 30 days as well I believe.

ChrisRupert

Ugh...that I did not know.

miregan
Contributor II

Im assuming you are using Apple Configurator to add it to your DEP instance?

ChrisRupert

In this one iPad instance, yes.

ChrisRupert

So JAMF got back to me on this and it's part of Apple's Security guidelines. It happens when a non DEP device gets managed and supervised via AC2 and is in DEP after that. They said the message goes away in 30 days.

miregan
Contributor II

Figured. Now be aware that the person can opt out of DEP within that 30 day timeframe.

chris_denoia
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm also seeing this, but as I'm still within the 30-day window I'm unable to confirm if the bypass option does disappear after. This is slightly annoying, but can accept if it does disappear after 30.

wpsd_apple
New Contributor

Does anyone out of the 30 day window know if this message and the option to opt out in the settings disappears after 30 days? I am having this same issue of the iPads giving that message on the lock screen.

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

Does anyone know if this affects the vpp apps pushed to devices that were manually supervised due to purchasing from a 3rd party resource, I am just curious?

I am curious to know if the 30 grace period might reek havoc on managed application.

Sorry to chime in late.

DoctorBrothers
New Contributor

After a device has left remote management, is there a grace period before it can be re-added?