Remote View / Control of iOS devices

bhjamfnation
New Contributor II

Does anyone have any efficient methods in place for remote viewing / control of iOS devices? Other MDM's offer this option but Jamf does not. It is very important to have this functionality available so I am have to look at alternative solutions. If someone from Jamf product development gets this...its a very important option that I am shocked isn't in place already.

7 REPLIES 7

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

We use Connectwise ScreenConnect or in some instances I've had users plug devices into a Mac and do a Quicktime screen recording.

<opinion>
As far as adding it to Jamf Pro I don't disagree with your logic but for me I'd like my device management system to focus on....device management. The one piece of glass management style is great for some but I'd rather have separate tools that focus on their own strengths. </opinion>

thejenbot
Contributor III

i get what you're saying @mainelysteve, but when you think about it, they do offer it for macOS (jamf remote). having the same capability with iOS would make sense. i'm not shocked that it doesn't exist, because nothing related to jamf shocks me anymore...

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I'd be happy to see the remote offerings getting little more love. Even the one for macOS!

bhjamfnation
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve. What type of infrastructure / client footprint is needed to use the ConnectWise solution? Is it reasonable and price, but flexible to support users off prem? Is it view only? Sorry I for the number of questions. I would much rather get facts from an admin vs some sales rep.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@bhjamfnation It's view only. It's utilizing the screen recording feature built into iOS. Not sure how the others are allowing screen control when the OS doesn't technically have any built in mechanisms for it. I rarely remote support iOS devices but in the small numbers of cases I have screenshots worked well enough.

Screenconnect as a whole is a great product and is relatively inexpensive when compared to it's competition. It's based on concurrent users so I have three on my account and it's held steady at about $400 each year. Works really well on all OSes. I was able to remote support a student on an ancient Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. No infrastructure is needed as it's all "cloud" based and the client can be installed ahead of time or on an as needed basis. On macOS the app is around 54MB and iOS it's running at around 29MB. Clients connect with a link in an email or via a five digit code.

No worries on the questions. I have some free time on my hands these days ;)

bhjamfnation
New Contributor II

Thanks. I spent a large portion trying to figure this out. From a functionality standpoint...it seems that Cisco Webex Meetings (ad hoc type) can accomplish what I am looking for without having to purchase or support a new product.

RussellCollis
New Contributor II

I generally push out or add TeamViewer QS into Self Service - it allows remote view 🙂