Remotely wiping a Mac

mrrobertbuss
Contributor

Hello to all,

Sometimes I remotely wipe my test macs for various reasons. Is the best practice that after the wipe command is sent, and it begins to wipe, should I also delete the device from JAMF inventory or leave it in JAMF inventory? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Either option works. I tend to leave the previous computer entry in Jamt as my test computers are in a lot of special static groups so they get test profiles/policy instead of production. If I clear the computer record, all my group membership (and assigned policies) get removed as well and i have to start over. 

Just make sure you have the option set in Settings -> Re-Enrollment -> Clear policy logs on comptuers is enabled so that any "Once Per Computer" policies will run again. 

View solution in original post

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

It really only matters as far as licensing and reporting goes. If the device stays managed for some reason, it will keep eating a license so long as it's in your instance. I usually leave a device if it will be enrolled again within the next 30 days, if it won't be (like it's in field services inventory or being disposed of) I will remove it as I dont need to see it in Jamf.

Also, some issues are cleared by deleting the inventory record as that will stop the device from using the same database tables when it re-enrolls. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Either option works. I tend to leave the previous computer entry in Jamt as my test computers are in a lot of special static groups so they get test profiles/policy instead of production. If I clear the computer record, all my group membership (and assigned policies) get removed as well and i have to start over. 

Just make sure you have the option set in Settings -> Re-Enrollment -> Clear policy logs on comptuers is enabled so that any "Once Per Computer" policies will run again. 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

It really only matters as far as licensing and reporting goes. If the device stays managed for some reason, it will keep eating a license so long as it's in your instance. I usually leave a device if it will be enrolled again within the next 30 days, if it won't be (like it's in field services inventory or being disposed of) I will remove it as I dont need to see it in Jamf.

Also, some issues are cleared by deleting the inventory record as that will stop the device from using the same database tables when it re-enrolls. 

mrrobertbuss
Contributor

Thank you - both replies are acceptable solutions. Can I mark each reply as a solution? 

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

You can mark any number of solutions you like.