Remove built-in apps

Brianmarum
New Contributor

How do I remove pre-loaded apps from an iPad? Our iPads come pre-loaded with Pages, Keynote etc which we will not be using. Is there a way to remove them using the JSS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

That is correct @bentoms!

On Monday I'm going to change my Configurator 2 blueprint to do a wipe first, then an update to the latest iOS and finally an enroll into Casper.

There is a way to remove those apps.. but it is a manual method. Create a test app in your catalog (I put it in a category just for testing) for Pages that you scope the new iPads to. Check 'Make app managed if currently installed as unmanaged'. Give it some time to work and then you can unscope those iPads from that app which will uninstall them. You could even make your scope the first time be a Smart Group of your 'new iPads that have Pages'..

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ChrisRupert
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You can't remove them from the iPad but you can hide them.

Under configuration profiles, you can add a restriction and under bundle id, you can choose Keynote, Pages, etc..28cacb35b62d4e1ab5f1a78a686107bb

You can see where I've hidden certain apps from showing.

USD497
New Contributor II

We would like to remove these apps also because on first launch they ask for an apple ID, which we do not allow the students to use. However, we still want them to be able to go to Self Service and download them if they need them. Is that possible?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You can also change their location with the new home screen layout payload in configuration profiles. So move them to a folder on the second screen.

The only way I've been able to physically remove apps is via backups and Apple configurator.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@USD497 You'd really need 2 smart groups, one to hide & another to not for those that you wish to use the apps.

But, it depends on how you're provisioning your devices. If a device is wiped, then you'll not have the apps in there.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

That is correct @bentoms!

On Monday I'm going to change my Configurator 2 blueprint to do a wipe first, then an update to the latest iOS and finally an enroll into Casper.

There is a way to remove those apps.. but it is a manual method. Create a test app in your catalog (I put it in a category just for testing) for Pages that you scope the new iPads to. Check 'Make app managed if currently installed as unmanaged'. Give it some time to work and then you can unscope those iPads from that app which will uninstall them. You could even make your scope the first time be a Smart Group of your 'new iPads that have Pages'..

Brianmarum
New Contributor

Tried your suggestion @cdenesha but I get an error message saying the Application is not available to install.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@Brianmarum that is usually a 'no licenses scoped' error. I didn't use VPP licenses because the app is already installed

Brianmarum
New Contributor

Thanks. That worked!

Wombat
New Contributor III

I know that this is a really old thread but I am also looking to stop students accessing things like Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Home, Music, Photo Booth, Podcasts, Reminders, Stocks, Tips, TV and Voice Memo.

I thought my enrollment profile 'stopped' them and restricted access but they have all been put in a group that any user can open and then use.

Thoughts please?

Bumping an old thread, but have the solution for Wombat in case anybody else needs it.

Configuration Profile>iOS Payload (Supervised only)>Safelist and Blocklist

From there you can switch it to Restrict blocklisted and restrict Default Applications, Managed Applications added via the jamf Apps menu, as well as search the Apple App Store for applications.