Removing Jamf

RyanMav28
New Contributor

I set up my macbook using a public wifi and jamf was installed. I took it to apple and they couldn't do anything i did some digging and found this software on my macbook. I want it removed asap. I just bought it and can't do anything. It's preventing me from having any rights whatsoever.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@RyanMav28

It has nothing to do with using public wifi to set it up; this was a device that was originally owned by a business or school that was using Jamf to manage their devices.

You'll need to contact the person or shop you bought it from and find out where the laptop originally came from; it's possible whoever originally sold it initially had it in a managed environment or enrolled in DEP and forgot to unmanage and unenroll it before selling it.

If it was enrolled in DEP, there is nothing you can do to remedy that situation; the organization that originally owned the laptop has to go in to their Apple portal and remove the device manually.

Were Wulff
Jamf Customer Experience

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

miregan
Contributor II

Not sure what you are expecting us to do here exactly.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@RyanMav28

It has nothing to do with using public wifi to set it up; this was a device that was originally owned by a business or school that was using Jamf to manage their devices.

You'll need to contact the person or shop you bought it from and find out where the laptop originally came from; it's possible whoever originally sold it initially had it in a managed environment or enrolled in DEP and forgot to unmanage and unenroll it before selling it.

If it was enrolled in DEP, there is nothing you can do to remedy that situation; the organization that originally owned the laptop has to go in to their Apple portal and remove the device manually.

Were Wulff
Jamf Customer Experience

Stephen_Perry
New Contributor III

Welcome to DEP.

joshuasee
Contributor III

User definitions of "my computer" do not always match IT industry ones. Unless you can make a compelling argument to the managing organization that the device is legitimately your property, rather than just in your possession, you're stuck with the management software.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I smell a stolen computer or a student wanting to circumvent management.

RyanMav28
New Contributor

I got jamf removed from the school laptop thank you very much.