Removing 'User installed apps'

Renfield64
New Contributor

A number of our supervised Pads have apps (installed by the user) which I need to get rid of en masse but there is no option to delete any of these apps through Jamf School.
I'm not sure how they were installed in the first place as the profile applied to the devices shouldn't allow them access to the app store but it does.
Any ideas?
Thanks
da81e3b149f34cc5b0ea1b51c43201b9

2 REPLIES 2

ccarpio
New Contributor II

Hello!

Just found out that several students at our school had managed to do the same thing. I have been told how by one of the students and, looking for "jamf user installed apps" I found this post.

The proccess they followed was:

• Using their own personal Apple ID instead of the school issued one.
  • Going to Google Classroom and tapping on a Google Form. The iPad asked for the browser they wanted to use. They chose "Google" (not Google Chrome).
  • With the "Google" browser installed they can search any app and it allows to install it directly from there (through the iTunes store, its seems).

Now I have several items on my to do list:
- Is there any way of only allowing some Apple IDs and not all? Not allowing changing the Apple ID is not viable since several times a year the backups and iCloud sync stops working if you don't reenter your credentials.
- Is there any way of removing all that user installed apps at once?
- How could I keep them from doing it again?

Edit: Profile -> Safelist and Blocklist -> Disallow installation of new apps from the App Store solves the issue from now on.

maortiz
New Contributor II

Did you find a solution? I have a similar situation on my devices.