Rename Computer Policy Not Functioning Effectively in Casper Suite

AFlandez
New Contributor

Hello JAMF Nation. I am a newbie to Casper Suite and behind learning curve as well. Any ideas on what to troubleshoot when using Casper Suite (Rename Computer Poilcy) to change Mac Computer Host Name? It seems that it takes more than 20+ minutes or doesn't change computer name when on System Preferences > File Sharing of Mac client. I'm not sure if it's network, policy (advanced setting), or setting on Mac system after enrolling to Casper Suite. Any help is greatly appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Hi,

In the policy logs, is the policy running at all on the target computer?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@AFlandez which OS? I've been having fun renaming 10.10 macs.. But using scutil commands.

AFlandez
New Contributor

@davidacland - Yes, the policy targets All Computers. In General Tab the Execution Frequency is set to Once Per Computer.

@Bentoms - Our environment utilizes version 10.7 - 10.10 for older to newer MBP and Mac Airs.

strider_knh
Contributor II

What is your trigger? If the trigger is at Check-in then you have to wait for the computer to check-in itself so that length of time will be determined by your check-in frequency, default is 15 minutes. They don't always check-in at exactly 15 minutes, it can vary.

Also, the "Reset Computer Name" just changes it to what is listed in the JSS. If the station checks-in with the JSS before you run the policy then it will update the JSS with the computer's current name and when the policy runs it will not change the name to what you wanted it to be.

This is the experience I have had when updating names using the "Reset Computer Name' feature. Also, this will not update the name used for any AD/OD binding that you might have. That will remain what was used when the station was bound.

AFlandez
New Contributor

@strider.knh - The Trigger is configured for Recurring Check-In with JSS. I even change the Screen Saver and Energy Savings settings passed 20 min. to give enough time and to make sure policy will take affect. I did notice that if you are in Edit Mode while on File Sharing then it won't display until you exit out and go to File Sharing Menu Page.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Good news. Screen Saver won't affect the policy. Can you clarify where your names originate? Like @strider.knh says, when you're using the "Reset Computer Name" checkbox in a policy it simply applies the "Computer Name" from each units record in the JSS so if you want them to have some other name then it's going to reset it on you.

One of the things that I do, regarding computer naming, is to have the "Reset Computer Name" box checked on my recurring inventory policy. It's keeps adventurous admins from breaking all of our naming conventions.