Restrict Internet access on a NetBoot image

iannufc
New Contributor

Hi all.

Is there anything I can do to stop users being able to quit Casper Imaging and start browsing using Safari? I can't see a way to remove Safari.App without breaking anything.

Was just wondering if anyone has managed to lock their Netboot image down, and if so, how?

Regards,

Ian

4 REPLIES 4

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I haven't needed to do it but I would probably use a config profile to stop Safari (or at least try it) to see if that solves the issue, without breaking things.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@iannufc In a NetBoot Image? you should be able to remove Safar.app when creating the NBI.

If using ACNBI, then you can add a PKG that contains a script to delete the app.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I haven't had to do it but I would try a config profile, installed locally in the netboot image to restrict Safari. Worth trying to see if the Mac still works ok with it installed.

iannufc
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses - I did indeed use ACNBI. I tried removing Safari.App but it wouldn't let me. I haven't tried forcibly doing it in Terminal yet.

I might try a .mobileconfig file to do as you advise to see if I can apply that retrospectively. At least I have some ideas to go on, anyway, so thanks for yet.

I can see it as a valid concern in a room where machines are being rebuilt unattended, so I will have to try something.

Many thanks,

Ian