Restrict Software during school hours only

emmanuelit
New Contributor

I want to restrict student use of a software package but only while they are at school. When I add the software to the restricted software, this restricts the software use at home as well.

Is there somewhere I can configure this?

5 REPLIES 5

elijh80
New Contributor

This would be an awesome feature!!!!

lance_ogletree
Contributor

Make sure you get a feature request filed for this.

One approach I've seen customers take is using a exemption group for restricted software. If the OS X clients can communicate to the JSS from off campus, a smart computer group could be established identifying computers that have an IP not on your network. This smart computer group could then be used as an exempt group for restricted software. This won't be immediate as the client still needs to check in to the JSS and have it's IP address updated - but it could provide a workable solution for now if you have your JSS accessible.

rickgmac
Contributor

Would love this feature.

The way we have got round this is to create a launchd process that watches network plist file for change and then runs a script which looks for the search domain. If it can see the school search domain it unloads the jamf restricted software launchd

jgrubbs
New Contributor III

We just enabled this with Skype. We created a Restricted Software policy for the app Skype and assigned it to our entire group of laptops. We then excluded a Smart Group that contains computers with external IP addresses. Works perfectly!

-Update
The exclusion is not working as we hoped. Even though the laptops switch to the new smart group, they are still being blocked from Skype. We even created a policy that runs on Network State Change to run sudo jamf manage, but Skype is still blocked at home.

uurazzle
Contributor II

Sasafras Keyserver would support this feature <http://www.sassafras.com> not JAMF solution, but an option.