Restricted Software - Multiple Warning Pop-ups

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I'm running into an issue trying to pop up a warning message for the Yosemite installer: the message is triggered properly when the app launches, but a new warning dialog box is created every 10 seconds. They stack on top of each other and need to be dismissed individually.

This is an issue because the App Store will launch the installer when the download is completed. I can imagine a user coming back to their computer with hundreds of dialog boxes to click away. I don't want to kill the process (which would resolve this), just warn users.

I am running 9.52, is this a known issue that anyone else has experienced? I don't recall seeing this behavior in our previous version, where we were displaying a Yosemite Beta warning.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Similar to what @donmontalvo posted here?
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=12174#responseChild72205

We just upgraded to 9.61 but haven't seen this issue. Then again, we kill the installer when its seen, so maybe because the process is still running its sending up a dialog each time the cycle runs. That would actually make sense. I don't know if its smart enough to realize there's already a dialog on screen for the user to dismiss and skip the next one(s).

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Not quite the same thing since we are not doing any exclusions, but we are seeing multiple pop-ups as shown in the picture (just a lot more often). It's happening on my 10.9.5 desktop and my 10.10.1 laptop as well (every system I've tried).

I am sure if I kill the installer that would resolve this (since quitting the installer stops the messages). I don't want to do that though since there will be people who will raise heck if we do.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I don't have an answer for you, sorry. I would talk to your JAMF rep about it. Sounds like its a bug, although I wonder how it ever didn't pop up dialog after dialog before now. Since the process scanning runs about every 10 seconds, I would think if it sees the restricted process is active, it would send up another and another dialog, repeatedly. It almost sounds like expected behavior, although it certainly would be nice if it could just realize it alerted already (within a certain timeframe at least) and that's that.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, it wouldn't be a concern if the App Store didn't auto-launch the installer after the download completed, since a user may not be sitting there to react to the messages. Thanks for the input, we are filing a support case.