Restricting Desktop Picture Slideshows

TBenolkin
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to restrict my users (800+ High School Students) from using picture folders to change their desktop background pictures, lots of random/inappropriate selfies popping up when I have to work on their machines. I know I can just set it to one photo at log in every time, but I will hear a bunch of crying about it if they cant pick a photo themselves..

Any tips?

4 REPLIES 4

stevevalle
Contributor III

This can be done using Configuration Profiles.

You can lock the desktop picture, restricting it from being modified. Have a look at the screenshot attached!

Hope this helps.
ae8987115e074f1fa2573d061132ac02

stevevalle
Contributor III

You could also restrict the Desktop & Screen Saver System Pref. Screenshot attached :)
c3194d5eced24ccc944450ccef691c60

TBenolkin
New Contributor III

This IS helpful, yet I'm just trying to restrict the use of folders and randomization of desktop picture slideshows. Making the process restricted itself will cause more complaints than the change is actually worth.

stevevalle
Contributor III

@TBenolkin Then restricting students from using the pictures folder to change their desktop background is going to have the same affect as my suggestions above.

The solution I have used in the past is to set the desktop background to change back to default on every login. If students want a custom background, they will change it.

This can be done quite easily with an ongoing policy!