Restrictions to settings

klongfellow
New Contributor

Is there a way to lock an iPad so that a student can't get into the settings?

10 REPLIES 10

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

This might work:
530f61fabf14424a90052daa710abee7

klongfellow
New Contributor

There isn't anything there @ryan.ball

klongfellow
New Contributor

Sorry it just popped up!

klongfellow
New Contributor

I tried, it is not loading the configuration because the bundle ID isn't valid. At least that is what the error says.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

When you go back to the profile do you see the com.apple.Preferences still in the list?

klongfellow
New Contributor

Yes, I can still get into settings.

jamf_sam
With the release of Casper Suite 9.9 we introduced support for Apple's new "App Usage Restrictions" within the Restrictions payload. This restriction will allow us to show or hide specific apps on supervised devices with iOS 9.3+. The only system apps that can never been hidden are Settings and Phone (iPhone only).

There's a lot that you can block within the Settings app, but for many reasons, the Settings app itself can not be restricted.

klongfellow
New Contributor

Ok, this makes it difficult when I have a student that wont work and just plays with his settings all day. Any suggestions?

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

I work in education as well. This is a classroom management issue, not a technical shortcoming in my opinion.

jamf_sam

@klongfellow I understand how frustrating that can be and to solve it, I would recommend Apple's Classroom App. This will allow a teacher to monitor and lock a student in a particular app from their iPad (and soon, Mac!).

This will let you guide the student into the work that needs to be completed rather than playing with settings. You can set this up via Jamf with MDM, or simply create an unmanaged class. Here's all the Apple Documentation , here's a video from JNUC 2017, and here's a really easy to understand video on it from 9to5Mac