Safari and Chrome show blank white on all pages

agerson
New Contributor III

We have machines exhibiting the following symptoms: Safari and Chrome display blank white pages. They will fetch the URL and the page is blank white. The source is blank white. You can, however, click on the invisible links (if you can find them) on the page and they will take you to another blank white page. The Mac App Store app (which I assume uses a safari web view) also displays blank white on all pages. Firefox works fine! A restart fixes it.

15 REPLIES 15

JZing
New Contributor III

Are you using a Lightspeed filter by any chance? We just saw machines behave like that and we reinstalled the filter agent and the pages started loading again.

agerson
New Contributor III

We do use Lightspeed (which is a great filter!). I just installed the newest agent and that did not seam to help.

esimcox
New Contributor

I am also experiencing this today on one of my machines. Did you find a solution for this? It is happening across all user accounts on the mac.

agerson
New Contributor III

I have not. Is anyone else running Cisco AMP Anti Virus? This was a recent addition to our Macs.

esimcox
New Contributor

i do have AMP software installed, but on multiple machines so it would be weird to have just this one break. Unless the endpoint version updated itself.

almonte32
New Contributor III

Are you using any IDS service?

esimcox
New Contributor

thanks for the response, just Cisco AMP (i believe it used to be called fireAMP). i have also tried this while it's disabled and no better luck. I've completely disabled dropbox (saw this on another forum..), disabled our Sophos AV, this does NOT change in safe mode, and resetting NVRAM does not help. Safari will give it a heck of a try, and sometimes even load a whole page for a second or so, but not more than once until a reboot.

almonte32
New Contributor III

Sorry just to clarify, but you said this did not change in safe mode, you mean you booted the mac in safe mode and tested to see if its a computer extension issue or a network firewall issue and the same thing still occurs?

esimcox
New Contributor

yes you are correct. same behavior. my fault, should have been more specific.

almonte32
New Contributor III

Can you post the results of your EtreCheck?

dudzikj
New Contributor III

Has anybody come up with a fix for this? I am getting exactly the same thing on multiple machines, seemingly at random. Safari, Chrome; I didn’t try the App Store, but the login page for Unity 3D shows a blank page also. Firefox works just fine.

Logging out and logging in again or even logging into a different account on the machine makes no difference, but restarting fixes the issue for all accounts. So it seems to be a system-wide issue.

I don’t have any of the software that was listed in previous posts, although this is an image with a boatload of media software on it. I haven’t ruled out the possibility that one of the software titles is to blame, although it’s the same load that I’ve been using for several years now. Newly built image though.

agerson
New Contributor III

Its still happening to us. Could it be the Adobe CC suite? I have noticed it installs some launch daemons and background apps that have caused us strange issues in the past.

dudzikj
New Contributor III

I was leaning toward it being a CC problem too, and then I logged into a machine that doesn't have it installed and ran into the same exact behavior. This machine (different image) does not have all of the media software installed that I mentioned yesterday, so I can't even blame any of that.

I've been beating my head against the wall all morning on this. So far, here is what I've tried:

Reset Safari history
Delete all cookies
Disable all plug-ins
Disable all extensions (I have none installed for Safari)
Allow all cookies
Checked my proxy settings
Flushed DNS cache
Delete CRL and OCSP cache
Deleted a whole bunch of Safari library files and plists according to one article I read (in effect, I reset Safari)
Updated Flash
Updated Java
Removed Shockwave

The big problem is, I don't know if any of this worked because most of it requires a reboot, but rebooting without doing anything fixes the issue.

One thing I did notice is that clearing both the Safari and Flash caches allowed me to see the top toolbars on a couple of sites (Apple, Amazon) and the App store, but as soon as you click on anything or refresh the page, it goes back to white. I probably should have removed Flash altogether just to see what happens, although my gut tells me it's not the problem.

I don't have any ad blockers or malware prevention software in the mix, although we are using Microsoft SCEP as our anti-virus, but again, we've been using that for a long time.

Ugh. This problem has the potential to push me over the edge. :/

bira
New Contributor

Hi all,

I just wanted to update this thread with a solution, in case anyone comes here looking for an answer (as I did).

We tried EVERYTHING, and eventually this fixed it for us:

• Restart your mac
  • Press down command option R until you hear the second reboot sound
  • On the menu that opens, select "Reinstall OSX"

It will require you to connect your computer to Wifi or ethernet, and log into your Apple ID. Then it will download all necessary files and reinstall the system, without changing any preferences or deleting your files -- so no worries there.

The process took about an hour+, but after that everything was fine and dandy again...

Thanks,

Bira

epomelow
New Contributor III

Thanks for the tip on Lightspeed filter @JZing . I realized that my adblock plus plugin was enabled for our JAMF Pro on prem instance. I disabled it and refreshed. Now my history logs appear correctly in Chrome.