Scoping Apps at Secondary Schools

cboatwright
New Contributor III

I hope there is a simple answer here that I am just missing, but we are getting ready to deploy 1:1 iPads to 1400 middle school students. We are already 1:1 at 3 elementary schools, deployment of apps is easy via Smart groups we have built which correspond to a physical room or cart. However, I do not see this as a solution in the secondary environment where students move around from room to room based on a schedule of class periods - or even worse A/B days. How can 100 apps be easily deployed to the students of a certain Math teacher?

I can only see a few methods to scope:
1) Import rosters from our SIS to create static user groups based on some criteria we choose (room, period, teacher).
2) Create LDAP groups based on these criteria and assign the students membership
3) Everything goes into Self Service and gets scoped to all student devices, this would be OK for free apps but what about paid apps?

Choice 1/2 will need to be constantly updated weekly or daily!

2 REPLIES 2

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

We use an AD attribute of Year of Graduation to determine the grade level, and all free apps are scoped to the entire grade.

You are correct that this doesn't work for paid apps for a specific class. We are creating User Static Groups of those users who need the app (device assigned licenses) and then it shows up in Self Service. The teacher emails if they need a new student. I like User groups for this over Mobile Device groups in case the student needs a loaner for a broken iPad.

I don't see any other good way unless you leverage the API and that would probably be a nightmare to do yourself. Incidentally that is what eSpark does to allocate and deallocate paid apps.

Please vote up this FR for assigning licenses by class.

cboatwright
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response, I see that the community has been waiting too long for this FR! Definitely necessary to scope by classes populated via ASM.