Scoping Policies & Profiles

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

I'm testing 9.81 out and I've noticed I now have a "Target Users" option under my scopes for policies and configuration profiles. I'm trying to distribute a computer-level config profile and so I select "Specific Computers" and "All Users" and select the smart computer group I want to target. I then go back to the main config profiles page and notice under scope it says "All users" and my computer group is not listed. If I select "Specific Computers" and "Specific Users" and only put the computer group, it shows on the main page under the scope, but it doesn't show as "pending" for that computer. These are computer-level configuration profiles, so I have no idea why it doesn't work with "All Users" selected.

2 REPLIES 2

Snickasaurus
Contributor

(1) What is the criteria for which a client machine qualifies for this policy?

(2) Since selecting "All Users" would it not be best to push it to "All managed machines"?

Some more info as to what the policy does and who you want to receive it might clear some of this up.

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

We have domain and non-domain joined machines. Based on what they are, I put a file on the machine that gets read by an extension attribute and then a smart computer group is populated from that. So for this example, I want OEM machines (non-domain) in Site A to get 1 configuration profile that controls the Login Window, Screen Saver and Energy Saver Settings, 1 for the Passcode restrictions and 1 for Security Restrictions & FileVault.

Under the scope, I should be able to select "Specific computers" and "All users" to accomplish this as it's a computer level policy.

I don't want to push it to all machines since domain joined machines shouldn't have the passcode change controlled locally, and they also get other profiles that OEMs don't. I also have different profiles for lab machines that don't get encrypted.