Screensaver over Loginwindow - Using Custom Images and Sierra

rrouleau
Contributor

Hello all,

I have been searching for an answer to my issue and hoped someone would be able to share insight.

My goal:
To achieve a screensaver over the loginwindow using custom images supplied to a directory on the computer. I am looking to use the "Classic" screensaver to do so, setting a custom image directory.

My issues:
Though I can achieve said goal initially, the Screensaver seems to be crashing due to MediaLibraryService. While the screensaver does run correctly after restart or Login/Logout, it will eventually crash leaving the loginwindow present. Screen burn-in is a concern, and display sleep is not an option
Also of note: Screen burn-in is a concern, and display sleep is not an option. This same screensaver will run when a user is logged in with no issue and no errors in the syslog.

The errors I see in my syslog are a looping (till crash):

Jun  6 09:50:19 pr-tst com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MediaLibraryService[2028]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Jun  6 09:50:19 pr-tst com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MediaLibraryService): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Jun  6 09:50:29 pr-tst com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MediaLibraryService[2041]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]
Jun  6 09:50:29 pr-tst com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MediaLibraryService): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Jun  6 09:50:39 pr-tst com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.MediaLibraryService[2043]): Service exited due to signal: Illegal instruction: 4 sent by exc handler[0]

Has anyone seen an issue like this or offer some insight? The only find I came up with on google was this thread on the Apple forums.

3 REPLIES 3

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@rrouleau So this is a "slideSaver" screen saver? (term from this)

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@rrouleau So this is a "slideSaver" screen saver? (term from this)

rrouleau
Contributor

@bentoms

Thanks for the link and reply.

I am using the "Classic" screensaver. /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/iLifeSlideshows.saver

I guess I assumed (maybe the issue) that since using this screensaver has worked all the way until 10.12.x, that I would still be able to use it.