Scripts not showing up in distribution point, but run okay?

mking529
Contributor

Hi all, I have a quick question about scripts. I am currently rebuilding our Jamf Pro system from scratch using version 10.11.1. I noticed as I uploaded scripts into Jamf Admin, they are not showing up on my distribution point anymore. There's not even a Scripts folder. Are they stored elsewhere now? Our current JSS we'll be retiring placed all my shell scripts in the DP under that folder. However, when I run a script in Jamf Remote, it works as intended. I couldn't find any solid information on that, so I thought I'd ask so future rebuilders would know. :) Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Scripts are stored in the database, not directly in a share, since I think version 9.x shipped several years back. As long as they show up on the Scripts page when logged into your Jamf instance, you should be all set.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Scripts are stored in the database, not directly in a share, since I think version 9.x shipped several years back. As long as they show up on the Scripts page when logged into your Jamf instance, you should be all set.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

Rich Trouton has blog posts on backing up scripts, packages, policies, and extension attributes. Backing those up is worth doing on a regular basis but I think it'd be helpful for you here too.

mking529
Contributor

Thanks everyone, I was pretty sure this was the case but wanted to make sure. Just in case anyone finds this post looking for the same information, it appears at least from my previous installation that if your JSS is old enough to date back to when scripts were stored in the distribution points, it will continue to treat them as files instead of database entries until you do a clean installation. That's what caused my confusion, anyway!

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

you can still drag a folder to jamf admin from your local Mac and sync it to your local Mac and you will get the old style distribution point folder structure, including a scripts folder.

However, scripts are stored in the database in the application