Search on Local User Accounts

jondowd
New Contributor II

While I'm sure it's easy, I've not yet found how to search inventory for Local User Accounts. My boss asks me to use Casper to tell him details of the compter Jane Doe uses. I have no idea which computer she is using, as our new naming convention no longer incudes the primary user's name. I can see her username as one to suppress in the Suppress Accounts option, so I know it's there.

I've looked through the Advanced search settings to no avail.

Can you tell me how to search my inventory for local user accounts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

its under Receipts Information > Local User Accounts > Has. Click on the ellipses button to get a list of all user accounts reported in and pick the one you want.

EDIT: Actually, I'm an idiot. Its even easier than that. Just type in the username you're looking for into the basic search field. No need for an advanced search. User Name is one of the basic search items that the non-advanced search field recognizes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270

its under Receipts Information > Local User Accounts > Has. Click on the ellipses button to get a list of all user accounts reported in and pick the one you want.

EDIT: Actually, I'm an idiot. Its even easier than that. Just type in the username you're looking for into the basic search field. No need for an advanced search. User Name is one of the basic search items that the non-advanced search field recognizes.

jdziat
Contributor

Local users are not searchable in inventory. At least not in 8.52. You'd have to add an extension attribute that would get the local users you'd like to search for.

mm2270

You're absolutely right. I somewhat misread Jon's post on the "local" accounts. I kind of consider our AD accounts to be "local" since we used cached mobile accounts as many organizations do. Those do show up in the regular inventory search but only as long as they are entered in the Location fields.

But they are searchable using the Receipts Information method outlined above. I just tested this and local non LDAP based accounts do show up there and can be added as search criteria.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

An Extension Attribute can populate the local user account's short name by doing something like this:

#!/bin/bash
localAccounts=$(dscl . list /Users UniqueID | awk '$2 > 500 && $2 < 1000 { print $1 }')

echo "<result>${localAccounts}</result>"

That will put the local user account's short name into a searchable field in the database. You may want to play around with it, and there may be better methods of getting the input in the database. I am just on the road and don't have a ton of time to test right now.

Cheers,
Tom

mallenOR
New Contributor

Tom, I adjusted your script for AD authenticated Macs that use a mobile account.

#!/bin/bash
localAccounts=$(dscl . list /Users UniqueID | awk '$2 > 600 && $2 < 10000000000 { print $1 }')

echo "<result>${localAccounts}</result>"

Thanks,

Michael...