Self Service Access

jafuller
Contributor

It's been a while and I have a question about Self-Service.
Can Self-Service be accessed by a user via a URL on an unmanaged computer or even a mobile app on an unmanaged mobile device?
Ideally, there are some areas that would be great to make available via Self-Service for a user when they're not necessarily on their managed Mac.  For example, after being strongly authenticated into Self-Service, I would like to get my personal FileVault recovery token because as a user, I forgot my local password to my managed Mac.

Please let me know if you have good direction here or if this just doesn't exist today.  Thanks All!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jafuller For Self Service to connect to your Jamf Pro instance it requires the Mac to be enrolled with and managed by that instance 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jafuller For Self Service to connect to your Jamf Pro instance it requires the Mac to be enrolled with and managed by that instance 

jafuller
Contributor

I assumed as much.  It would be great to have a way for a user to manage aspects of their devices without having to do so directly from that device.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@jafuller While you can't use Self Service you _could_ implement some sort of web portal that would allow a user to sign in with their company credentials and run scripts that used the Jamf Pro API to either retrieve information about their devices or trigger actions from Jamf Pro on it. Your example of retrieving the FileVault recovery key can now be retrieved via the Jamf Pro API as of version 10.43.

This was just brought to my attention.  I think this may be the direction we take.  Do you all know if anyone has already "custom" built a portal like this?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Not that I've heard of.

czarmark
New Contributor III

There's a way to do it for mobile devices, see this discussion:

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/remote-app-push-of-self-service-apps-ios/m-p/224688

I'm looking for something that will work from any device and allow a user of their JAMF managed devices to self-service those managed devices.  The URL mentioned in that post, would need the UDID to ensure that you're looking at the right device, which we wouldn't have from an unmanaged device.  It's an alternative way to publish self-service to managed devices since you have the UDID already.