Self Service cannot connect to the server. Since v10.0.0 upgrade

murph
New Contributor III

A lot of our macOS devices are seeing "Self Service cannot connect to the server." since updating Jamf Pro to v10.0.0. Anyone else seeing this? How do we fix it?988182502d234703826f827789bf0379

37 REPLIES 37

Schawk_SFO
New Contributor

We are seeing the same thing on some machines. No discernible pattern yet...

rwinfie
Contributor

+1

JS_WWU
New Contributor III

I got this on my first Mac (10.12) post upgrade (this morning), but force quitting and reopening Self Service fixed it in that case. Have not seen it since, but limited test sample so far.

murph
New Contributor III

I have figured out what's causing it for me. If we have a Building associated, under User and Location, it fails. If I set the Building to None, it works fine.

@JS_WWU @rwinfie @Schawk_SFO

xadit
New Contributor

Experiencing the same issue on 10.12.6.

Tried the Building association with no luck, force quit no luck, clear cache no luck.

danhutchings
New Contributor II

I had this problem as well. I deleted the associated "user" information too, so that user and location was completely empty. As soon as I did that, I quit Self Service and reopened. It is now functional again.

aram
New Contributor II

Just ran into the same snag after upgrading to jamfPRO... I was able to determine that in our environment it came down to BOOKS!!!

I had multiple iBooks (In-house) scoped to me as a USER; to accommodate both iPads and my MacBook Pro. This caused the Self Service on macOS to show the 'cannot connect to server'-message as above. On my iPad Self Service works fine for Profiles, Books and Apps.

When un-assigning my name from the Computer-record in the JSS, my Self Service started working on macOS. As soon as I scoped a (or multiple) Book(s) to my MacBook again, Self Service stops working straight away! The bug seems to be in the (In-house) Books on macOS, I think. (iOS works fine!)

Also, when I deleted my User record from the JSS, it got deleted from all the scoped Books too. It was after re-adding my User-account and testing Self Service on macOS, that I found that Self Service stopped working again as soon as I added the Books back in.

All is working fine now, with the exception of having no Books in Self Service.

murph
New Contributor III

@aram The books thing makes sense. We have a handful of books that are tied to the building. I'll have to remove scope for the books and see what happens.

Thanks for the info.

Steven_Xu
Contributor
Contributor

You can go to the Users tab, if you see the user migration required information, then you need to migrate the users. I guess some policy base on users or user group, and self service cannot read the information correctly.

Eigger
Contributor III

For us, problems like this occur if there are duplicate users. We get duplicate users because of Apple School Manager sync which we are still trying to fix. So to fix this issue, we look for the affected user, see if there is a duplicate, we delete the ones that didn't came from Powerschool/ASM. Then Self Service starts working again.

Schawk_SFO
New Contributor

The "Migrate Users" did the trick for us. Prior to that, Self Service would fail on any Mac that had a username assigned.
Thanks to Steven.Xu!

kai_wang1
New Contributor III

+1
I still don't know the root cause of this issue. It will display some time.

Johnny_Kim
Contributor II

Having the same issue. Any update on this?

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

I was able to reproduce this on v10.1.1 and now v10.2.0 with a client running macOS 10.13.3.

Removing the User and Location information completely from the JSS Inventory record solved this, and luckily this is on one of our dev/test Jamf Pro instances, has anyone heard anything definitive from Jamf support?

lashomb
Contributor II
I still don't know the root cause of this issue. It will display some time.

Same for us, rare but happens occasionally.

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

[deleted]

rcorbin
Contributor II

We are running 10.1.1 and to the best of my knowledge we have not seen this. I have heard about some Self Service issues with 10.2 and 10.2.1 but maybe these all trace back to 10.0.

Lots of talk about that here : https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/27188/jamf-pro-10-2-1-maintenance-release

martenblank
New Contributor III

+1
Same for us. Happens randomly for newly enrolled Macs. Seems to work for every older Mac.

martenblank
New Contributor III

We solved this!
After a little trial and error we found this info in an older post, that suggested this fix for the Self Service-app when crashing.

Delete these keychain objects in the users login keychain:

com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey
com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey
com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.condentials

Then restart Self Service.
These are going to re-create when restarting the program.

philipwoods
New Contributor III

We had this same problem and resolved it.

Turned out that the Jamf Infrastructure Manager we had in place as an LDAP Proxy had crashed, and I guess that Self Service prods the LDAP when it starts up to determine whether or not the ability to login is available to users.

Restarted the Ubuntu VM running Jamf Infrastructure Manager, and after it had checked in with the JSS Self Service started working again.

So anybody suffering same issue might want to check that their LDAP lookup is working properly from the JSS whether or not you are using the JIM as an LDAP Proxy.

Planet312
New Contributor

I came across this from time to time in versions various of Self Service and found it to be an non-trusted root certificate in the system keychain. If you are logged in as the user (and the user has admin rights), you can move it to the login keychain, mark it as always trust and move it back. Bingo.

lashomb
Contributor II
Delete these keychain objects in the users login keychain: com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.condentials Then restart Self Service.

I tried this and they didn't get recreated and now Self Service won't launch.

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

For us, the issue seems to be the username in the User and Location section of the computer's inventory record. This is different from the Self Service crashing issue mentioned elsewhere on the Nation, which we have seen once or twice (the fix being remove the
com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.privatekey and com.jamfsoftware.SelfService.publickey items in Keychain Access).

Whenever a username is set, the user gets the error in the original post.

Removing this - in the 10.6.0 Beta 2 at least - allows Self Service to open as normal.

I spent quite a bit of time working this through with Jamf Support - they could only mark the case with the product issue PI-004995 with no ETA for a fix.

crbeck
Contributor

@mark.mahabir I ended up just having the same issue but only for one very specific user in particular (recon was also failing but policies and MDM were working). If I tried to assign the user to a Mac, Jamf wouldn't do it. It would do the AD lookup so I saw his user details but the Save button did nothing. I looked up the user's username in the users tab and there were two entries for him. Deleted both entries and re-assigned to his Mac and Self Service worked again, same with recon. This was a 2017 MacBook Pro on 10.13.6 with a Jamf Pro version 10.6.

bollman
Contributor II

Found a solution!
If you enable Self Service logon, allow users to log in to view and ldap or jss account, Self Service starts with an additional log in-button but at least you can start Self Service and login is not required!

kerouak
Valued Contributor

@martenblank

chheers!
same issue resolved with yr asistance

cheers mate!

25CW25
New Contributor II

@mark.mahabir

ran into the same issue today and deleted the username (in user location) of the inventory record resolve the issue.

swapple
Contributor III

When we open self service, we connect and can run stuff inside. Leaving it up on screen, after a few minutes we get the red bar at the bottom saying it cannot connect, try again. Clicking on home or reconnect and it comes back for a while. (We are cloud 10.9)

jalbert
Contributor

@swhps we see the same thing, it's like a time has been reached, CMD+R or clicking the home button refreshes it and everything is fine until the next time out.

Edit: Running 10.14.3 on prem.

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

I also see the red bar at the bottom occasionally, but it disappears a few seconds later. We are running v10.7.1 currently, on prem.

GlobalHealingCe
New Contributor II

@swhps @jcalvert Im also seeing the red bar occasionally pop up. Running 10.9 on premises..

bmattyd
New Contributor

We are running cloud 10.10.1. We are seeing the exact same thing. We are trying to deploy OneDrive to all computers but it is giving me an error message that it "cannot connect to a push server".

I tried to deploy it through Self Service and get the red banner at the bottom. When it does connect, the "Installing" just sits and spins.

mark_mahabir
Valued Contributor

There are some JamfCloud issues in the US I believe. See here

bassic
New Contributor III

I had this issue, and it was caused by a VPN config profile that was assigned to Self Service- I removed the profile and the issue was resolved.

Hope this helps someone!

kerouak
Valued Contributor

you can try:
Holding down the option key whilst starting self service.
This re establishes connection and cooms
Worked for me when we had the same issue.

G'LUCK

dng2000
Contributor II

Multiple computers in my environment encountered this similar problem since last Thursday, November 18.  No resolution from Jamf support yet.  Anyone else in the standard cloud having the same problem with their Jamf Pro instance?

[2021-11-19 15:57:09] error connecting to server: Error Domain=com.jamfsoftware.jamfappcommerror Code=100 "(null)" UserInfo={HTTP Status Code=502}
[2021-11-19 15:57:09] Server Connectivity State change - state: notActive, user: nil
[2021-11-19 15:57:09] Error: Error Domain=com.jamfsoftware.jamfappcommerror Code=100 "(null)" UserInfo={HTTP Status Code=502}

dng2000
Contributor II

This is affecting my environment again.  Not good.