Self Service Dock Icon

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

When trying to create a dock item for Self Service it never shows up in the Casper Admin list. I've tried this on multiple machines and see the same thing. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks
Allen

8 REPLIES 8

abenedict
New Contributor II

Two things,
1. open terminal and type killall Dock This usually fixes it for me.
2. make sure you are dragging the item to your dock and not selecting the
keep in dock option from the contextual menu, when you use that option it
does not write the change to your dock plist until logout (i think, I know
for sure that it is not immediate).

Alan

--
Alan Benedict
?
Macintosh Technician
The Integer Group
http://www.integer.com

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks! That worked!

Allen

Bhughes
Contributor

Hi -

Once you have the dock item added to Casper Admin, can you install it via policy for each user that logs into the Mac? Currently, I can only make it install on the current logged in user. I have tried the "logon" trigger, once per user, but it doesn't populate.

Thanks!
Ben

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

If you're using "once per user" and you have already logged in under the account on one Mac, then you've used up your "once per user" allowance and will not see it happen again under that same account.
See here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=45

Good news is I see this is now "Planned" Not sure when the status on that changed, but good to see that it did!

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

If you have access to the beta program, check out the release notes for 9.80.

Bhughes
Contributor

Makes sense @mm2270 this would actually be for post enrollment. User has a local account, part of enrollment binds them to AD and creates the network users account, we want to add the Self Service icon to the dock of the new user.

jmartinez0837
New Contributor

a workaround i found was adding /Applciations/Self Service.app as a Dock Item instead of Dock App via Configuration Profile.

szultzie
Contributor II

@jmartinez0837 I tried what you recommend and all i get is a ? in the dock. I dont think you can add a .app into the right side of the dock area. At least I cant by dragging it there.

-Peter