Self Service Icons

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We have only used self service for our technicians, and this will likely change next year.

Can someone give me any tips for creating / capturing icons for self service usage? I know Miles offered a good tip during the cert course, but I can't remember it now.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

adamjameson
New Contributor II

One good way to do this is if you do a Get Info on the App then you can click on the icon to highlight it and copy it. Once you have the icon copied then go into Preview and under the File Menu choose New from Clipboard. This will give you all of the icons in full resolution, pick the icon that you would like to use if there are multiple ones and save it as a .png making sure to leave the Alpha box checked to preserve the Alpha.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

The way I do it:

1. Click once on the application and then use the Copy command (Command-C).

2. Open Preview and create a new document.

3. That should have pasted the clipboard into the new document.

4. Save the document out as a PNG file.

Voila! That should have created the necessary PNG file for you to use in Self Service.

Steve

Walter
New Contributor II

... or you can navigate inside the .app/Content/Resources folder for the app you want and look at what icon files are in there. Double-click the .icns file to view it in Preview, scroll to the 128x128 pixel version, then export (save as) to a PNG file with Alpha checked to keep the transparent background.

When you create your self-service policy for the app there is a place on the Self Service tab where you can select the PNG file and upload it to the JSS. Voila!

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

thanks to both of you.

alexkaloostian
New Contributor II

drag and drop the app bundle onto the Preview app and it will open up with EVERY graphical element in the app. Select the one you want and save it as a png.

csanback
New Contributor III

There was a script posted here by @kyle.bareis to capture all icons on a computer. Gives you all the standard OSX ones and I believe any app that is installed on that machine.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/4681/self-service-icons

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

I use this application created by @mm2270 https://github.com/mm2270/Self-Service-Icon-Maker It's fun to use and puts a smile on my face with each icon it creates. (How's that for a sales pitch?)

After installing and before the first use, I recommend issuing the following command in terminal so that all of the icons created at 512 X 512 (and they are at 144 DPI)

defaults write org.mm2270.SelfServiceIconMaker iconRes 512

You can edit the filename before uploading into a self service policy; I usually add a version number to the end of the file name.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Not that Mike (@mm2270) doesn't deserve kudos for that, I've switched over to using the app SAP came up with:

SAP Icon Generator

Download from the Release section. Easy drag and drop to get three different icons you can use in Self Service.