Self Service Mobile App iOS 9.82

rsaeks
New Contributor III

It looks like this weekend there was an update to the Self Service Mobile app (to version 9.82). We are finding anyone running this version is unable to connect via the app. It returns back "Unable to connect to server."

Has anyone else seen this issue?

27 REPLIES 27

joshbuddy
New Contributor III

We are running into the issue as well, we have an open support case with JAMF and their engineering team is looking into it. From looking at the logs of my iPad in iOS Console it appears to be related to SSL.

Code=-1200 "An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made."

rsaeks
New Contributor III

Do you have a case number we might be able to reference?

ericjboyd
Contributor

Us too. waiting on a case number.

Looks like it updated yesterday:
Updated: Jan 24, 2016
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/self-service-mobile/id718509958?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

ericjboyd
Contributor

product issue (D-010095)

christiandooley
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. We were wondering if you would be able to update your ciphers on your JSS by following this article:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=384

After following this workflow please attempt to open Self Service Mobile once more.

Also, don't hesitate to reach out to JAMF Support by creating a support ticket under more > my support, calling into the general support line at 612-216-1296, or emailing support@jamfsoftware.com

Best,

Christian Dooley
JAMF Support

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi,
Just a +1 for fixing your cyphers :)
This did not require anything on the other end, iPad: Self Service worked as soon as cyphers fixed and Tomcat restarted

joshbuddy
New Contributor III

We figured it was going to be a cipher thing. Unfortunately for us we can't just make a change in our server.xml. Our clustered environment is behind a load balancer and our load balancer is what is serving SSL. So we are going to have to re-compile pound to support all the new ciphers. It will be good in the long run, just a pain up front.

brushj
New Contributor III

Updated the ciphers on both our internal and DMZ server, still getting unable to connect to server.

luke_nikunen
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Updating the ciphers worked perfectly. Thank you!!

RWitt
New Contributor II

Anyone not have the ciphers fix the issue. I only have a handful affected. Thanks

dan86
New Contributor

I do have this issue on self-service web app. So far after using ciphers fix it works.

galionschools
Contributor

We struggled with this the past two days. The cipher fix didn't do it for us. What did do it was updating the Java JDK to 1.8(was on 1.6). After doing both Self Service sprung to life.

joshbuddy
New Contributor III

Upgrading our load balancer to incorporate all the new cipher suites fixed our issue.

IIL
New Contributor

Ciphers fix has not worked here... JSS 9.82 with 1300 iPad Air devices running iOS 9.2.1

galionschools
Contributor

I'm assuming that your java instance on the server is current? Have you reached out to your TAM?

IIL
New Contributor

Yup, Java version 1.8.0_45

Haven't contacted TAM yet as I often get a good fix right here on the forums. The WebClip works fine as a backup for now, so I'm tempted to hang on to see what the community can dig up.

galionschools
Contributor

The JDK right and not just the standard plugin? I installed mine per this article: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=28

ericjboyd
Contributor

Looks like our JSS had an sha1 cert... replaced that and we were running again.

wettstein
New Contributor

Our JSS also had a SHA1 cert. We were planning on replacing the cert this summer, just got pushed up a bit.

dan86
New Contributor

Sadly it seem my issue is back after running awhile.... Anyone got update how to resolve this issue?

CGundersen
Contributor III

So, I'm pretty sure that I'm seeing issues with latest Self Service Mobile due to a ciphers issue on our load balancer* (A10) ... external testing (i.e. not under lb) is fine as ciphers are good to go on JSS web apps.

That said, I'm seeing fails across the board (internal/external) when I switch out to JAVA 8 (.65 and .71) ... haven't tested downlevel versions of 8.

When I switch back to JAVA 7 (update-alternatives --config java), I only see the fail internally due to aforementioned (likely) load balancer cipher issue.

Sorry for random thoughts, and I'll update if things change/more info to add.

*Unfortunately, I don't own the means of production re: load balancer, so waiting on another team for fix of that issue.

Nils
New Contributor II

@joshbuddy We are also using pound and it looks like we have the same issue.
Could you please tell me how you fixed the ciphers in pound?

afontane
New Contributor

How to fix "ciphers" by ourselves? I got "unable to connect to server" in self service app too.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi!
Jss v. 9.8.2
I am manually installing Self Service Mobile to specifics smart groups. It is the only app I have set so far to update automatically. I noticed that worked, the app is now 9.9 on many devices so far.
Then I had a connection error on a couple devices, and discovered that my configuration got wiped out on the app in the jss. Put that info back in and all is well. I have switched over to devices based app distribution over the last week (spring break) and all is now well. App works better than ever, just need to test apps as a few have gone away from the App Store (blogger) I do not remember dong anything with/to that app, so not sure how the config got wiped out.

jlbrown
New Contributor

Updating the ciphers as per:

[https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=384](link URL)

worked for me too.

dfilbert
New Contributor

If you still have this problem with a Windows server, try this:

find the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) files from this process: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=28

Before copying those files into your jre directory, right click the files click on "Unblock". Then copy them over to the jre directory.

andykang
New Contributor

On RHEL using OpenJDK, only the cipher for Java 1.6/JDS use works, which breaks iOS Self Service.

To fix this, we had to install Oracle Java along with the JCE policies on our JSS v9.96 install.

Get list of available Java installs

sudo yum list available java*

Install latest Oracle Java

sudo yum install java-1.8.0-oracle.x86_64

Configure alternatives to use latest Java and select the version of Java you want to switch to.

sudo update-alternatives --config java

Then you have to download the JCE policy and SCP it to your server: JCE Policies

scp jce_policy-8.zip username@jssserver.FQDN:/tmp/

Unzip and replace the existing *.jar files into /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-oracle/jre/lib/security/

sudo unzip jce_policy-8.zip
sudo cp *.jar /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-oracle/jre/lib/security/

Restart Tomcat and Self Service should be working now.