Self Service Notification

powderspecial60
New Contributor III

We are in the process of implementing patch management with Jamf and Self Service. If there is a pending update available it shows up in updates in self service so that all is working correctly. My question is this. When self service is open it shows the number of updates available as a red number in the dock, similar to what the Mac App Store dock item does when an update is available. However, when you quit the application the red number goes away, then the user does not know there are updates to apply. Is there a way to get the number to show up in the self service dock item similar to the way the app store works?

4 REPLIES 4

powderspecial60
New Contributor III

So an update to this. It seems as if there is a delay between deploying an update to self service and a notification showing up. I scoped something on Friday and it did show up via an APNS notification on Sunday morning and I did get the red 1 on the self service icon in the dock. So it does work that way, but takes a bit to push down the way it seems. If I manually launch self service it does show up right away.

Chris_B
New Contributor III

Hi @powderspecial600 ,

So with this one its a bit tricky because as far as I know Jamf have not configured this to show how many updates there are when the app is closed/quit. However, you can set it up so that when a new update is available it gives the user a toaster notification saying that an app has an update. You can configure this to be deferred or accepted so the user can choose when to install the update.

From that point onwards I would go down the route of forcing updates so that you know nobody is behind, you could have anyone that is on a certain version or below to automatically be forced to update after deferring the notification so many times so many times.

powderspecial60
New Contributor III

@Chris_B

That is the road I am going down. I am going to give so much time to do the updates and if the user does not do them, it will automatically force them in the background. However, when I came in this morning I was surprised to see this by the Self Service icon, notice how the app is not running and it is an update notification. cc6221631f8449f984370661c661a4ed

Chris_B
New Contributor III

Oh fantastic! well this is news to me, i must stay up to date haha.