Self Service Notifications even when no update available yet.

erichughes
Contributor II

What happened to Self Service Notifications? I get tons of notifications in Self Service for apps that are configured in Patch Management, saying update available, but the latest version has not been uploaded yet. We only want the notification when it is available. Is this a new "feature" or am I missing something?
bb09ecaa6dde45689657dc615fa234be

12 REPLIES 12

jmuchow
New Contributor II

We have the exact same problem. Jamf introduced a new "improvement" to the Self Service UI in 10.24.1. but it has been anything but that for us. Old notifications hang around in the Notification pane forever and you can even toggle them on and off which serves no purpose. It causes a lot of confusion with our users who think they have an update to install but there is no "Update" button present. We have an open ticket for this problem but no resolution yet.

dennisnardi
New Contributor III

I'm seeing the same thing. Also even when notifications are cleared out, they come back within a day or two, even when no new updates are published. I opened a ticket with Jamf about it and we're testing a few things, but they suspect it's a product issue. If you're seeing the same thing you should open a ticket so hopefully it can be fixed in a future release.

abuehler
New Contributor III

Same here. Opened a Ticket as well.

erichughes
Contributor II

I turned off the Notification options in "Software Title Settings" for the title in Patch Management. Left the notification enabled for the actual Patch Policy. Did that for a few and left a few enabled all around to see how that acts.

erichughes
Contributor II

Update. Turning off the notification options for Software Title Settings did nothing, still received 8 new notifications for software configured in Patch Management but no package has yet to be uploaded or Patch Policy made available.

Matt_Ellis
Contributor II

I am getting ready to role out patches via patch management and am seeing the same thing. I am also having an issue with Self Service not pushing a notification via the notification center.

Cranappras
New Contributor III

Having the same issue and it is incredible frustrating. Even worse, it is retraining our users to think that the Self Service notifications are just a red herring...

erichughes
Contributor II

Anybody figure out how to turn this off yet? My fix wasn't.

tom-monkhouse
New Contributor II

We're seeing exactly the same thing here too. It's very annoying.

t_jones
New Contributor III

Im seeing the same thing here too, but inconsistently. Only for some macs do we get these notifications without an actual update to install. I cant determine the cause... Catalina and Big Sur, intel and M1. 
Anyone ever figure out how to fix this?

t_jones
New Contributor III

Thought I would share in case anyone else comes across this. 
Its a known product issue

PI-009167Self Service may incorrectly display notifications for old patch policy updates.

d_sutton
New Contributor

We are having the same issue.

What I am testing right now is disabling the "Enable Reminder Notifications" under User Interaction page of the Patch Policy. I have only started doing this for apps that keep appearing in Self Service for about a week or 2 now but so far it appears to be working better at eliminating those false update notifications.

I turned this setting off for Chrome, Firefox, and a couple others that were constantly being listed even after being patched and so far I have not seen them appear again after clearing them out.

I will try to give an update in a few weeks to see if they show up again.