Self Service - Printers won't install

sdrake
New Contributor III

We have a few printers that we have pushed out directly to MacBooks and those all seemed to install fine, but I just went through and added the majority of our printers to Self Service (rather than figuring out who needs what). The printers show up in Self Service, but when I click "Install" I get the message "This item is no longer available" and the printer doesn't show up in my printer list. The policy is enabled, the printer is added to it, I'm not sure what's wrong.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdrake
New Contributor III

Got our print server sorted out, made sure printing was working, installing from Self Service still wouldn't work. Realized I had the policies scoped to users, so I decided to scope to devices instead. Lo and behold, it worked. I don't know why scoping to users wouldn't, but I think I'm all set now.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Fluffy
Contributor III

How many systems have you tried this on? And if you quit Self Service and relaunch it, does it show the printer as if it is ready to install again?

sdrake
New Contributor III

I've tried it on two computers, the option never goes away. After it fails it just goes back to "Install"

Fluffy
Contributor III

The error message is similar to issues with policies just pushing out to seemingly random machines. The only solution I've succeed with is a bit wonky. If I made the same policy from scratch (and added "2" at the end of it so I knew which was which) and pushed it out to the same machine, it would execute normally. There was a thread I was following where this was an issue, I'll see if I can find it.

sdrake
New Contributor III

Thanks! I'm just realizing there might be an issue with our print server. If I manually add the printer, it adds but doesn't allow me to print. Thanks for the help 🙂

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

I would start by checking the printer policy log to see what error if any you got on the computer you tested this with. 

The log just still says "pending"

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

On that mac, please run sudo killall jamf

Then run sudo jamf policy

Then rerun the policy from self-service

Just tried that and it didn't do anything, but now I'm thinking there might be an issue with our print server. If I manually add the printer it will add it but not print. Thanks for the help!

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Do you map your printer via print server not via direct IP?

That's correct. Haven't had an issue doing it up until this point, though. Print server might just need a reboot.

sdrake
New Contributor III

Got our print server sorted out, made sure printing was working, installing from Self Service still wouldn't work. Realized I had the policies scoped to users, so I decided to scope to devices instead. Lo and behold, it worked. I don't know why scoping to users wouldn't, but I think I'm all set now.

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

I typically would scope printers to the device, not the user but I'm glad you got it all sorted it out. 

kgam
Contributor

I see the same problem here. We have a policy which is scoped to a smart user group (based on a user extension attribute) and even though it appears correctly in Self Service we get the "This item is no longer available" error when they try to run it.

I have opened a support case and will update any findings here.

UPDATE: According to Jamf Support then Self Service login must be enforced if anything is scoped to Jamf users. We haven't enabled login to Self Service which is why the policy failed.

david_hunter
New Contributor

We're trying to setup a policy to allow access to our printers (via IP, not Print Server).  I scoped my machine for testing, but I'm not sure what behavior to expect after rebooting the machine, I don't see the printers in the list, and I can't add printers from non-admin user accounts.

We use the following in a postinstall script packed in Composer together with the driver:

lpadmin -p printer-shortname -D "Printer display name" -E -v ipp://XX.XX.XX.XX -P /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/KONICAMINOLTAC3110.gz -o printer-is-shared=false

Policy is scoped and run from Self Service.