Self Service URL Plugin Cache

isaacnelson
Contributor

I've been working on a static HTML page with some info for our users that we will put in Self Service as a plugin URL. I made an update to this page and I can't get the updates to show up in Self Service on my test machine, which seems to have the old version cached. I've run the jamf manage command, rebooted, and as a shot in the dark, cleared Safari's cache. Is there a way to force Self Service to clear its cache?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

isaacnelson
Contributor

Interesting. I just pulled up the plug-in in Self Service again, and now it shows the updated web page! So, it looks like the cache or whatever the problem was does get cleared eventually. It would be nice if Self Service would always pull down the current page though, or at least provide a way to force an update.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor II

I've never seen a problem like what you're describing. I have a test URL plug-in installed on my Mac in Self Service, but it references a local html file on my Mac, not something over the network.
Is your plug-in referencing a page over the network? You're updating the html page itself that the plug-in references, correct? Not the plug-in itself?

isaacnelson
Contributor

Yes, it's a page hosted on a server on our internal network. I edited the HTML on my local machine and then replaced the server copy with my updated copy, without touching anything in the plug-in itself. After trying what I described in my first post, I cloned the plug-in within the JSS and deleted the original, hoping that would solve it, but still no luck.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor II

And the older version of the html page is persisting when you click on the plug-in, even after quitting/relaunching Self Service or clicking the Home button?
Hmm, that is pretty strange. I don't think it's the plug-in if it's just directed to load an external html page. I mean, if that was the case, any URL plug-in that loaded pages from external sites would have the same issue. It should act just like a browser that goes out and gets the latest version of the page when it's clicked on.

Wish I could help more, but I don't know why it would be doing what you describe. What version of the JSS is this? Could it be a bug in Self Service perhaps?

isaacnelson
Contributor

Yep, relaunching Self Service, clicking the Home button, pressing Command+R—no matter what I do, the old version persists. I think you're right about it not being the plug-in itself. I tried it on a different machine that had never loaded the plug-in, and it pulled up the new version just fine.

Web development isn't my specialty, but it seems like when I've run into similar issues in a normal Web browser it's been pretty easy to solve by just clearing the browser cache. That's why I was curious about a method to clear any caches that Self Service might be storing.

It's version 9.97.1488392992, so not the latest. I've been meaning to get around to upgrading to 9.98, so maybe I'll do that and see if somehow it fixes the issue. It's looking like it could very well be a Self Service bug.

Thanks for your comments! It's always helpful to bounce ideas around.

isaacnelson
Contributor

Interesting. I just pulled up the plug-in in Self Service again, and now it shows the updated web page! So, it looks like the cache or whatever the problem was does get cleared eventually. It would be nice if Self Service would always pull down the current page though, or at least provide a way to force an update.

View solution in original post