Set Lock Screen/Screensaver Image

AlexHoffman
New Contributor III

My executive leadership requested that we deploy a desktop picture to all computers, but they do not want it showing on the lock screen. I created a package for the image with Desktoppr and it works perfectly... Except that it changes the default lock screen and screensaver to be the same image. We also do not want to lock the image, users should be free to change it to whatever they want. 

My question is does anyone know how to set the lock screen image independently of the desktop picture? Can it be done with a script or a plist? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pete_c
Contributor III

Please file feedback with Apple on this issue and 'tell the story' of what you hope to accomplish with a custom lockscreen image.  It is ludicrous that an important means of branding/ownership cannot be set on Macs anymore, but can on supervised i*OS.  Note that there will likely never be any means of setting a custom image visible at the FileVault window.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You can use the Restrictions payload to lock the Desktop Picture.  This does not affect the Screen Saver setting.  If you want a custom image, you'd have to deploy a .pkg to put that file on the device beforehand.

Screenshot 2022-10-27 at 8.55.06 AM.png

In my testing, this sets the Desktop Picture for the user when logged in, but the Login Window background remains the default macOS Ventura background.

AlexHoffman
New Contributor III

It's the lock screen that I need to change, not the login window. I can set the desktop picture, but I need the lock screen to not be the same image as the desktop. 

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Ah, gotcha.  When the screen is locked, the user is still logged in, so macOS shows their Desktop Picture rather than a separate image.  

pete_c
Contributor III

Please file feedback with Apple on this issue and 'tell the story' of what you hope to accomplish with a custom lockscreen image.  It is ludicrous that an important means of branding/ownership cannot be set on Macs anymore, but can on supervised i*OS.  Note that there will likely never be any means of setting a custom image visible at the FileVault window.

alpaul
New Contributor

Anyone has done to set Lock Screen background, could you please share the steps

iScreensaver
New Contributor II

Have you considered using a Screen Saver instead of changing the Desktop/Lock screen background?  Screensavers in macOS Sonoma are tricky, but we have a commercial product that will do the trick.  You can download a free demo at https://iscreensaver.com   You could use it to put up a single image, but iScreensaver also lets you sequence in images, movies, and even 3D models.