Setting SUS

powellbc
Contributor II

When you define an SUS in the JSS, it defaults to a generic catalog URL that does not resolve (http://su.example.com:8088/index.sucatalog). The actual catalog URL is something more like http://su.example.com:8088/index.sucatalog/content/catalogs/others/index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog. This makes it not usable when setting the default SUS in "Override Default Policy Settings" in the General Policy settings because the URL set on clients is not resolvable.

Is there a reason for this discrepancy, or am I doing something wrong? Instead of using the Override Default Policy Settings I am now using a separate script to se the catalog URL, which seems less elegant. Am I missing something obvious? HOw is the URL even found or defined?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Hi Bryan,

Mine shows the same, yet clients get updates.

Guess there is some redirects @ play, tbh I've not looked @ it much.. It's mostly just worked for me!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

bentoms
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

The JSS's behaviour is correct if you're using an ASUS.

I posted a bit about this on my blog & it contains a link to Apple's KB article that states the same: http://macmule.com/2011/07/21/how-to-connect-clients-to-lion-servers-apple-software-update-service/

powellbc
Contributor II

That's the thing, I am using an Apple SUS. The default URL generates a page not found error. I did not configure or change anything that I know of to change this. The server started on 10.7 and was recently upgraded to 10.8.

bentoms
Honored Contributor III
Honored Contributor III

Hi Bryan,

Mine shows the same, yet clients get updates.

Guess there is some redirects @ play, tbh I've not looked @ it much.. It's mostly just worked for me!

powellbc
Contributor II

Ah, so maybe it is a false positive. Thanks for the info!

tobiaslinder
Contributor II
Contributor II

Same with me. It works with my 10.8 clients when I just point them to the standard url.

techmchs
New Contributor III

There is a know defect using the set server funtion, here is the response from JAMF that I got.

"That is where we run into the defect I had mentioned (D-003070). When using the Set Server option in the JSS, the URL gets written down to the client machine with a trailing space that causes it to fail. "

better to not define it and push it out with mcx guest or config profiles.. at least thats what I ended up doing