Shared iPad cannot remove Apps

bvondeylen
Contributor II

Has anyone else noticed that when you put an iPad into Shared iPad mode, that you can no longer remove an app that is installed?

We have just been erasing our lower grade iPads and putting them into Shared iPad, and teachers were re-installing apps, and a teacher installed a free app (From Self Service) when the school had also paid for the Paid version of the app (Pushed out). So now the app is installed twice (one free one paid). BUT, we cannot remove the Free app. The Restriction Profile is pushed out which is suppose to allow the removal of apps, but it isn't helping.

4 REPLIES 4

bumbletech
Contributor III

Can it be deleted from the settings app?

I noticed that when you set a layout profile you lose the ability to delete from the home screen, but you can still delete from the settings app.

m_green
New Contributor III

We have the same issue. Our jamf rep said that it's a product of Managed Apple IDs, they can install but cannot remove. Have you found a fix or workaround for this? I thought about trying a different distribution method, but given that half our environment is "single user" and the other half "shared" changing distribution methods on apps they both share could create more issues.

RobAtJigsaw
New Contributor II

I haven't tried this myself, but maybe if you have VPP licences for the one you want to remove, you can Force Management of that app. Once the app licence is yours and not the user's, you might be able to remove it via Jamf?

jychri
New Contributor

You can remove apps from a Shared iPad with Configurator 2. It's less than ideal, but it gets the job done.