Shared iPad removing user

SVOGELSONG
New Contributor

We are rolling out the Shared iPad model. We bought 128GB iPads just for the Shared iPad and space. When we get to the 11th user, which should remove the oldest user, the iPads are either becoming non-responsive or it takes like 15 minutes to complete. We are rolling this out to 3000 users where we are rotating though classes and having students resetting their default pins so this is shutting us down completely. As a temp fix we go into the iPads through JAMF and remove the users manually but again this takes like 5-10 minutes per user, per device. This is again taking forever and not ideal.

Shouldn't the 11th user kick off the removal of the oldest user in a fairly quick fashion since it is cached on our local caching server? Another district said it may be that the iPad sets up the drive space based on what we set. So a 128GB iPad might store like 10-20GB for the IOS and then take the remaining space and divide it by 10 users. But then when it goes to remove the oldest user there is limited space for the iPad to remove a user and add a user in the space limitations. They on purpose set it to 8 users. Not sure if that would help but that means we would have to wipe all f our Shared iPads.

Side note-We have a presentation from Apple that the Shared iPad model should allow like 40 users at once. That is why we went out and got the 128GB model and when we pushed Apple on this they found it is a JAMF limitation for up to 10 users. We want to work with JAMF on that limitation to see why Apple says it can be that many but JAMF limits it. Not a big deal just a note of why we got the 128GB iPads.

6 REPLIES 6

mickgrant
Contributor III

i have run into this issue in our school, unfortunately when we set up our shared iPads we set them up with 4 users and so i had to deal with this constantly.
the things that i have found that limit old users cycling out appears to be to do with the iPads not having enough "down time" between users to upload the student profiles back into the cloud. because just like pushing Apps or any other data to the iPad users cant be logged in for this to take place, so when you have kids jump on to the iPad, then pass it over to the next person who jumps on you end up with no down time to push the profile back into the cloud

ctktech
New Contributor II

I too have had this same issue, and even attempted to share it on a previous post (https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/27749/apple-school-manager-login-issues). We have three different iPad carts at our school with iPad Air 2s running iOS 11.4.1 (working to update them all to the latest iOS 12 over Christmas break). Every other week I will usually get a handful of students that cannot login to the iPad they are assigned. They get an error message saying "To add a new user, contact your administrator", and will prevent them to login to the iPad. All of our iPads are set to only cache up to two user profiles, so I will search for the iPad in JamF and remove one of the users from the iPad itself, allowing the student to login.

Good to also know how shared iPads handle cached profiles. Wonder if this is something JamF is looking into. I'd almost like to be able to enable shared iPads, but disable caching iPads.

Brandon Odom
Tech Administrator
Christ the King School, Omaha, NE

axto
New Contributor

Same Problem here.
After the 10th User the 11th User can't login.
The iPad just shuts down.

mtk
New Contributor III

axto: Any updates on this? Noticing the same behavior in our environment...

cpominville
Contributor

I have been using 6 users per iPad...and the 7th kicks out the 1rst as it should. I did a lot of testing with this originally with Airwatch, we used to use, and now Jamf. I must say I did not try 10 Users per device.

Another thing we had GREAT difficulty with was the Wifi. Use the Terminal on your Mac and ping the device as users login and logout. We had extremely long times where the iPad was disconnected from the network so the iPad could not sync. We called the Wifi vender and after some minor adjustments, this problem went away. Check your wifi connection.

crchien
New Contributor

We had a similar issue with 5 users per iPad. The 6th would get stuck and not log in. The thing that solved it for us was to bring it up to the most recent iOS version (12.1.4). They were at 12.1.1. Once they updated, I no longer had that problem (though I had a different issue of users being unexpectedly logged out).