Shared iPad Temporary Session Timeout

blarwick
New Contributor

We are trying to setup Shared iPads for one of our departments.  However, devices will timeout back to the Lock Screen after 2 minutes and we cannot locate the ability to change this to 1 hour.

• Our PreStage Enrollment sets the device up as a Shared iPad, Temporary Session Only, Temporary Session Timeout of 3600 seconds
  • Our Configuration Profile targeting the device cannot set Maximum Auto-Lock or Maximum Grace Period for Device Lock settings from Passcode section or the Profile will fail
  • Manually issuing a remote command to the device to Update Passcode Lock Grace Period (Shared iPad Only) or Adjust Shared iPad Settings do not seem to help

I've attempted everything I can think of at this time or have found online and no matter what, the devices will go back to the login screen after 2 minutes.  As these iPads will sit on screens that need to be referenced without interaction for several minutes at a time, this has created an issue where the devices are not functional for their intended purpose.

6 REPLIES 6

agyekum28
New Contributor III

you might have tried this, but the passcode security profile has this functionality to change bot of those settings

Yes, second bullet point above.  Passcode section of the Config profile will fail to deploy to Shared iPads.

bfrench
Contributor III

is your configuration profile set to device level? or user level?

bfrench
Contributor III

blarwick
New Contributor

All of these have been attempted.  Device stays stuck at 2 min timeout.  Thread you linked shares much the same issue with no fix found to work.

Thomas_Eckler
New Contributor II

Hi.

Here are notes from an Apple Enterprise case I opened two years ago:

ISSUE: Shared iPad for Business Temporary Session

STATUS: Product Engineering confirmed that it is expected behavior that the session timer be reset when waking a device. When the device is on battery and not used while in Temporary Session the device will sleep after 120 seconds to conserve battery life. The documented higher values will still timeout if device is plugged into power and it does not sleep after inactivity.

PATH FORWARD: Use a timeout value of 120 seconds or less if devices will be used on battery power and automatic session timeout is desired.