Shared iPads default to minimum brightness on login screen

alex_wyatt
New Contributor II

We have a small fleet of 30 shared iPads, shared between 3 grades. Most of the are just fine, but some of them, for no apparent reason, default to minimum screen brightness on the login screen. This makes it extremely difficult for young kids (Kindergarten through 2nd grade) to get into their profiles. Once logged in, they have full brightness control as usual. However, setting the brightness properly does not carry over to the next login

It's always the same iPads, and it does this consistently, not intermittently. Any recommendations for how to fix the default brightness?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

Is the brightness set at whatever point the last user had the brightness set at? So if student 1 logs on and sets the brightness to the dimmest, does it stay that way until student 2 logs in a changes it?

alex_wyatt
New Contributor II

@jouwstrab no, it goes back to dim. Say it starts dim with no one logged in. Student 1 gets in, increases brightness. They log out, it's dim again. Student 2 logs in, increases brightness...logs out, dim again. Etc

alex_wyatt
New Contributor II

Still no resolution. I even talked with an Apple tech in our area. He suggested carrots...good for the eyes

In fact, it's now gotten worse. Where before it was only a few in the cart of 30, now every single one behaves the same way. The rest all started doing it at the same time, and it was about a week after updating them (so I doubt it's the update because it would have been immediate, right?)

krausec
New Contributor II

Did you ever have a resolution to this issue?

marktaylor
Contributor

We now have this issue, did anyone come up with a solution please?

krausec
New Contributor II

For what it is worth, our problem was the screen protectors we had on the iPads.  They were coving up the sensor by the camera.  I used a hole punch in that spot and the problem is now gone.

marktaylor
Contributor

Thanks, @krausec I might give that a shot too... It's defo a case issue even though we are using a 9th gen case! Where exactly is the light sensor?

krausec
New Contributor II

It is right next to the camera on the top.  The best test, pull your screen protector back from the top and see if the screen brightens up.  Once you pull it back you will see the sensor next to the camera.