sidebarlists.plist

BOBW
Contributor II

Just wondering if anyone can give me some ideas of the easiest way to push out a generic sidebarlists.plist so all network users will grab this at login?

Having some issues mapping 10.10.2 to sidebar folders and I can manually tick the boxes which fixes the mapping. Thought this would be the easiest way to fix this issue11be9686d7014526a399b2642a0f9c2b

settings should reflect image

20 REPLIES 20

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@c0up3 Would you want this set at every login or just once?

BOBW
Contributor II

Am thinking would need to be every login as I dont want these to change

joecurrin
New Contributor III

I would suggest if you want this on login. Create a LaunchAgent plist to execute a package or script reconfiguring the sidebar.

BOBW
Contributor II

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Any other ideas though?

matt4836
Contributor II

Here is a script to modify the Sidebar for users. Be sure to set line 10 to True if you want to use with Casper.

changeSidebarListsCasper.py

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Thanks @matt4836 this script is amazing! I've been looking for something like this for ages. Never had much luck with the sidebar preferences.

matt4836
Contributor II

@davidacland I already made some important changes to it.

Added:
When run as Root (Casper) It now modifies the Logged in User’s Sidebar (requires a log out)
Test to make sure File Exists
Ability to specify Current Finder User’s Home Directory as a variable. (Use HOMEDIR as the variable). Example:
script.py last HOMEDIR/Music To add the user's Music Folder

Updated

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Nice one. Thanks again for sharing!

danielmcnaught
New Contributor

Thanks @matt4836. I've been working with @gfawkes on this, and can echo his response. This will be much appreciated by folk I support! I'll send you a little cash as we use it :D

hodgesji
Contributor

Hey @matt4836 , your links are broken for me. Can you update please?!

matt4836
Contributor II

Weird.

GitHub.com/matt4836

hodgesji
Contributor

Thanks - this is going to be really helpful!

tuinte
Contributor III

That script sounds like it's made to do what I want to do. Where might I start in learning how to use it?

wsauce
New Contributor

This script would really be helpful to me. Similarly to tuinte I don't really know where to start. All I need to do for now is remove "Connected Servers" from a group of Macs and a lot of this script means nothing to me :( I use Apple Server with Profile Manager and not the Casper Suite. If anybody could help point me in the right direction it would me massively appreciated. Thanks.

Sanchi
Contributor

How do I use this script with Casper - I don't know much about how to implement python scripts in OS X. Does it aid Casper in setting the sidebar or do you change items in the script to manually give the sidebar the contents you want?

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You would add the script to Casper, then create a policy to run it, adding the necessary variables.

In the policy script variables, you can use the parameters to add the extra info, for example:

Parameter 4 - last
Parameter 5 - HOMEDIR

This would add the home directory, last in the list of the finder sidebar.

Sanchi
Contributor

Ah thanks David, thats given me a good key to work from. To the dev machine!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

There is also this.

Sanchi
Contributor

Thanks @bentoms this looks even more intuitive. I'm going to try this out next week!

kstrick
Contributor III

Looks like the change_sidebar_list script broke with El Cap....
(Changes to python...)

Anyone have enough python experience to know how to fix it?
(I really need to get my python on....)

github issues page