Single App Mode question

jgilman
New Contributor

We have several iPads that our controller's office has purchased to run the Higher One Payments for iPad app (also sometimes referred to as CashNet). I've successfully supervised the iPads and enrolled them in Casper. Wifi is disabled in favor of pure Verizon wireless data. I've set up a fairly basic configuration profile that is working well and locking everything down as expected with the Higher One Payments app running in Single App Mode. Unfortunately when this configuration profile is installed the iPads no longer allow themselves to be fully powered down (you can shutoff the screen by clicking the power button, but the slider never appears if you hold down the power button to initiate shutdown in the usual manner), and my end users find this bothersome. I've done quite a bit of investigating and found no reference to whether or not this is expected behavior or simply something that I've misconfigured. I haven't been able to figure out any settings that will enable shutdown while keeping the iPads running in Single App Mode (which is also a requirement as they don't wish the iPad to be used for anything else beyond payment processing).

Does running an iPad in Single App Mode normally disable hardware shutdown and if so is there is a way to enable it again via a configuration profile setting while maintaining Single App Mode?

10 REPLIES 10

ctarbox
Contributor II

I came to JamfNation today with this exact same question, as I have Kiosk Pro in Single App Mode. Everything is configured just as I would like, but I can't power down the iPad to save on battery with the iPad is not in use.

If this is normal behavior, I will relay that information to the department that will be using these and advise them to keep the screen black and plugged in when not in use.

iPads are running iOS 12.1.4

Cheryl

cfraser
New Contributor

Any way we can get some type of official response on this? I think this is a pretty important feature to consider. How is it impossible to power an iPad down in Kiosk mode? It's a waste of power to have the devices on all day, every day. It's actually unacceptable.

CorpIT_eB
Contributor II

Does anyone know if you can Update the iPads through JAMF when in Single App mode. I have not tried to push it out yet but was wondering if I had to remove them from Single App Mode first before pushing the update.

cbd4s
Contributor II

It is a bit disappointing the Single App Mode is not even mentioned in the Jamf Administrator's Guide. The only extra information I was able to find is from Jamf Now: Using Single App Mode

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Five years and still no answer to this question? Do I really need to open a support ticket with Jamf to get an answer?

kohlwholesale
New Contributor

I just configured a Single App Mode config profile to use two iPads as dedicated FaceTime units to contact one of our managers outside of normal business hours. As of this writing, running 14.2 on iPad 7th gens with this config profile, you have the option to disable various buttons/options. Screenshot attached of available settings you can modify. Specific to OP's original question, you are able to turn the screen off and turn the device off provided you do not select the Sleep/Wake Button option in the profile. I have verified this does work. I don't want to risk screen burn-in so this was important for our use-case scenario.

I do hope that Jamf updates their Admin Guide to include Single App Mode (which I've also called Kiosk Mode). It would be helpful for others out there and avoid some support cases merely by including it in the documentation.

HTH.
337d6fff9bc540878535cc99acd5bc0f

MikeF
Contributor II

So I am just starting to look at Single App Mode. And for what I want it for it seems to work properly. But i see that I am not really able to remote wipe one of these if needed to reinstall with out they're being someone with the ipad. I have not seen any way to suppress the remote management screens. We were hoping to be able to remotely wipe and reload but it looks like this is not possible. Am I correct that I can not do all of this remotely. All Ipads are connected with POE usb-c nics

mschroder
Valued Contributor

To do any action on the iPad you first need to except it from the single app mode. Once that is done you can take all the usual actions via the MDM.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@MikeF Once you've wiped an i device it's unmanaged. That means eyeballs on the screen and touching glass to proceed through the setup assistant to get it managed again. You can do some of this through Apple Configurator on a Mac, but some touching will need to occur here as well. Only tvOS and macOS can automate the setup assistant. In either case a wired connection is required. With wired connections to a network less common on i devices I don't see Apple implementing it soon or even at all.

If I were you I would look into other methods to refresh your devices or do it a schedule so that remote locations have a competent person at the device or really good instructions for a non-techie.

MikeF
Contributor II

This is what I figured but i was just hoping that there was a way around it.