SMART Notebook/Learning Suite Upgrade Failing?

dungeonadept
New Contributor III

I've deployed SMART Notebook v21 and 22 in the past, but I want to get everybody upgraded to version 23. I'm ignoring the product key. The gist of it at the moment is that if I push out the v23 pkg to a device that already has v21 or v22, Jamf reports an error on install:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is SMART Education Software
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. An unexpected error occurred while moving files to the final destination.)

If I install the v23 pkg and there aren't any versions already installed, the install goes fine.

Here's some detail on the installer:

• Installs a folder called "SMART Technologies" to the Applications folder, containing a bunch of apps, and another folder with a bunch of apps. None of those app names match the name of the pkg.
  • DMG containing base installer can be downloaded from their website, this contains SMART Education Software Installer.pkg
  • You can alternatively grab SMART Install Manager to build a "custom" pkg containing your product key.
  • Both pkgs - standard and custom - have the upgrade issue.

I did try to install the custom pkg and capture it using Composer, but the result complained that it could run on the computer I built it on, and that leads me to believe I could use some lessons on Composer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

YanW
Contributor III

I just recently upgrade everyone to 23. I always use the SMART Install Manager to create the custom pkg. Download the Admin Installer, drag the SMART Education Software Installer.pkg out to somewhere. Open Install Manager and open/import the SMART Education Software Installer.pkg. Build your own pkg and upload to Jamf. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

YanW
Contributor III

I just recently upgrade everyone to 23. I always use the SMART Install Manager to create the custom pkg. Download the Admin Installer, drag the SMART Education Software Installer.pkg out to somewhere. Open Install Manager and open/import the SMART Education Software Installer.pkg. Build your own pkg and upload to Jamf. 

dungeonadept
New Contributor III

But point of clarification, did this work to upgrade your users, or simply to install on new machines? The package installs on a fresh computer fine, but I can't get it to upgrade existing v21 or v22 installs without me having to go in and manually use the uninstaller first.

both, new install and upgrade without issues. I just tested on a Mac and it worked.

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 3.22.23 PM.png

dungeonadept
New Contributor III

Okay, cool!. When you build the package with the Install Manager, what settings get changed?

The basic settings like Drivers, Smart Ink, Notebook, Product Key, Languages, Gallery Essential, and Lesson Activity Toolkit. I tried to make everything the same as previous version. 

dungeonadept
New Contributor III

I think I found the offending setting, because after disabling this (and a few other things, but only this makes sense) the upgrade install works.

Delay activation seems to be the culprit. Thanks for your help. Without you confirming you got it going, I don't think I would've kept at it!