SMB://x.x.x.x/NetBoot won't connect

rcarey912
New Contributor II

RHEL 6 server setting up the NetBoot image. Any thoughts?

6 REPLIES 6

nessts
Valued Contributor II

NFS works for me, I have never tried it with smb mounts. search the previous conversations on here, I know I sent some links to make netboot work on Linux recently and gave an example dhcpd.conf file

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@rcarey912

Did you use the Casper NetInstall Image Creator, by any chance? If so, we're not able to use SMB shares when Netbooting.

We have a KB article on that topic here.
Unfortunately, there is no workaround to that that will allow us to use an SMB share in a NetInstall environment.

If that KB doesn't cover what you're seeing, it may be helpful here to give us a little additional information as to what you're trying to do when the failure happens.
Does it happen during initial setup, or when a client tries to NetBoot for imaging?
Are clients able to NetBoot at all?
Are we trying to use NetBoot across subnets?
Are there any specific errors that show up, and when they do show up, at which part in the process do you see them?

If you'd rather not post more details in a public forum, or would prefer to set up a call/WebEx with your Technical Account Manager to go over it, please reach out to your Technical Account Manager by giving them a call, sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com (it will go directly to their case queue), or by using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

rcarey912
New Contributor II

I'm not setting it up to do an SMB mount. I don't know how to change the actions on the admin site. When I click to add NetBoot image it tries to connect to an SMB share. Enable NetBoot doesn't do anything. I can't add the server ip. All I can really do is manage the accounts. What am I missing?

rcarey912
New Contributor II

When I click on the NetBoot image dropdown I don't get any options. I would think that it would let me browse the server for the image. I already have it created. I know the .nbi works because I have it working on an OSX serve that is going to be retired.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@rcarey912

Thanks for the additional info!

I did reach out to your Technical Account Manager to let him know you were having difficulties getting this set up, and he should be reaching out shortly to take a closer look. It may be something that will be quicker to figure out over a WebEx or over the phone.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software support

rcarey912
New Contributor II

Thanks Amanda!