student shared ipads and teams

wifichallenges
Contributor

Hey there had a question about shared ipads and how people handle logging in and out of teams.

If the user forgets to log out, or leaves a window running in the background, other users can log in as them (as they didnt log out). This would seem to limit the ability to use any signed in service on a shared ipad.

I read some stuff about making the ipads multi user, like your normal PC would be. Apparently you have to enabled 'shared ipad' and then they can log in with directory credentials. Does anyone have a video or instructions that document this process? I watched several videos from jamf about shared ipads, but they dont go over the student login piece. Sounds like exactly what i want. Having profiles be destroyed when a user "logs out" of the ipad, and frees up chrome and teams settings for the next user to log in.

I read some forums posts complaining about storage space with multiple users. Is that a concern as well? I would want like a class set of 30 ipads to be logged onto by any student with their directory credentials. I wouldnt have thought this was possible in the apple world but what i have been reading says that it is possible. I looked into jamf teacher application, and it doesnt allow the teacher to force kids to log out of chrome or whatever, so i dont think that's teh right tool.

Any approaches people have to use something like teams or onedrive with a shared ipads with multiple users. Information appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3

wifichallenges
Contributor

according to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTJri-CRWvY&t=22s one way around this is to use managed apple student IDs with some kind of school data sync. This would populate jamf classroom with the student ID's, teachers and courses mappings and can be set to sync daily, or SFTP uploaded. You can then configure the shared ipads to use federated apple IDs to log in, or perhaps azure based ids. User content would be stored on icloud servers (which are probably in america, so might be a deal breaker there...). You must partition the ipad based on the amount of users you foresee using it, which makes things a bit complicated too. 

Would like it if there was an easier method, but probably this is how it is done in most cases. Correct me if i am wrong.

YanW
Contributor III

I don't know enough about Jamf Reset and Jamf Setup, might not be a viable option for you but it's an option. 

wifichallenges
Contributor

jamf setup looks like its for BYOD. these would be managed devices.

jamf reset seems a bit overkill for what i want to do... although both look like interesting products to solve pieces of the BYOD puzzle. We just dont manage peoples BYOD devices currently.