Students Under 13, Apple IDs DEP and Parental Consent

ahammond
New Contributor

Hello all!

I was hoping to find some information on specifically how you all (specifically those in the school district) are handling the issue of creating apple ID's for students that are under 13 using DEP.

I remember reading somewhere that someone had made consent forms for parents to sign; but didn't elaborate any further. That sounded like a really good idea based on how our school structure is laid out. Any advice? on where I could find the layout/template for the form some of you are using[if you are also using that method]?

Any help would be appreciated, as we are trying to get an early start for the next school year!

Thank you so much!

9 REPLIES 9

mcarasso
New Contributor III

Hey I've gone deployment, the best advice I can give you is use the u13 Guide. https://www.apple.com/education/docs/Apple_ID_for_Students_Institution_Guide_EN_Feb14.pdf
We had done the take home consent forms for our u13 students and a vendor of ours had offered to create apple id's for us in bulk sounds great but within 24hours apple disabled those apple ids and were forced to go back to square one. To play catchup we had our SIS person export us a list of the students who were under 13 and uploaded it to apples u13 portal and had a couple parent nights to speed up the under 13 response.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi,
We used a parent release form as part of our Parent Tech Agreement, and then created the Under 13 Apple IDs ourselves using Apple's Under 13 process. We used institutional email addresses for the parent, and then by request we can add a parent's address to any account.
It was a little labor intensive (x 600) , but in the end we were pretty satisfied with the result.

Knowing the security questions and the passwords has been a lifesaver in supporting these students. We are using VPP managed licenses and especially at the start, the ability to check their Apple IDs and their iTunes accounts was EXTREMELY helpful in troubleshooting and getting that process working.
Our grade 8 students had to create their own Apple ID or use one they already had. This adds a whole lot of complexity in trying to sort out problems with apple IDs, forgotten passwords, and apps.

We are in the planning stages for next year when we'll be adding our other Middle School to the 1 to 1. We hope to work on the Apple ID process this spring to get things rolling faster in the fall.
We also have some 1 to 1 in grades 3-4, currently supervised with Apple Configurator. We are in discussions about how we will manage them next year.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every model out there, I don't mean to say ours was better or worse, just that it fit our community.
Edit: I did look around our website for the consent form but was not able to find it. I will see if I can get it tomorrow.
Good Luck!
Sandy

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

Sandy,

Why do you deal with forgotten passwords for students that have their own Apple ID? It's their responsibility.

ahammond
New Contributor

Sandy and mcarasso,

Thank you for your quick responses. Please let me know if you run into that form. It would be nice so I can show my manager, so he understands exactly what I mean.

Thanks again!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

LOL! Yes, well, @St0rMl0rD ... it's the student's responsibility, and it's our responsibility to assist the students! And believe it or not, SOMETIMES the issue is not just a straight forward forgotten password....
sometimes Apple IDs do weird unexpected things :)
@ahammond am still trying to track down the newest version of our form....

St0rMl0rD
Contributor III

What other issues have you had with Apple IDs?

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Bear in mind that this was in September, and many things have ironed themselves out since then:

Our initial deployment: DEP and AD authentication to activate the devices, each student entered their Apple IDs at the prompt, and each student had to also accept 1 or 2 VPP invitations due to our apps being purchased within two different accounts.
We found that many (but not all) students were prompted 5-6 times for their Apple ID password during initial setup, for no reason we could figure out.
Others (but not all) had to go into their Under 13 Apple IDs and choose Title (MR., MS., DR) before their Apple ID would work. Others (but not all) were stuck in limbo until they agreed to one more TOS (despite our going back and verifying that every account was completed and verified)
Some accounts flat out did not work and we had to create new ones. This was interesting because we could not use their student email accounts, so it was like these Apple IDs were stuck: could not log in, or reset password, but also could not use the email for a new account. We used an alias: +apple for these

Once we verified that their VPP invitations were accepted, some accounts did not receive their apps, and we would exclude and re-add them in the JSS to get things working. In troubleshooting this in particular, but also all of the above we were able to gather a lot of info to find the best fix for each situation BECAUSE we know their Apple IDs and passwords. We could log into their iTunes account and view purchased apps, for example.
For the 8th graders, we were much more in the dark and also had to have the student there to type in their credentials in order to troubleshoot various issues
Also, we did not have to put our parents through the Apple ID process, which I know would have caused a lot of frustration and aggravation.
Sandy

ahammond
New Contributor

Thank you Sandy,

I work for a school, we can exchange email if that would be easier for you? (don't know what the rules are here, or for you).

Thanks a bunch!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Anthony,
Shoot me an email at sandy.hinding@isd197.org