Switch network-environment for a limited time

ApfelKomplott
New Contributor

Hello,
I work in a university and professors want me to disable internet-access for the period of exams.
So I defined 2 different network-environments, one for the main part of days and one for the period of exams. In the latter a non-existent proxy is registered, so that the students can't get into the internet.

My problem is now, how to switch from the first network-environment to the second, so that they can do their exams, and later on how to switch back to the first, so that they can work normally. I want to switch the identical computers by Casper-Suite.

About an approach I would be very happy.

Thank You
Rainer

5 REPLIES 5

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

If you have access to the network closet, just pull the plug on the router :)

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I really think this should be done from the network side of things, not the client side.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Even though my comment was made tongue-in-cheek, I fully agree with @alexjdale You're just asking for trouble if you do it any other way. If the change you wish to make affects every computer on a LAN segment like a building or a room or WiFi, then you really should focus on the network infrastructure as a single point of management to make that change. Besides, as we are all aware, changes to settings don't always push out 100% every time - either turning them on or turning them off.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Exactly, would the professor be checking to make sure each client picked up and processed the policy properly at the time needed? What happens if one client still has Internet access while the others don't, does everyone wait for it to get resolved and burn up exam time? What about after, when clients all need access back?

Too time-sensitive, too fragile, too many moving parts. Should be done at the network level in my opinion, this is not a problem that should be addressed on the client.

ApfelKomplott
New Contributor

Hello together, Thanks for the tips . You are absolutely right . It's definitely better to act at a central network point .