SWU Updates

Treger
Contributor

Hi All JAMF Masters,

I have a question about the major SWU's. My machines seem to pickup all the non-reboot updates easily and apply them but a machine that is on 10.9.2 for instance does not seem to pickup the 10.9.5 update I have enabled from the server. Have I been a muppet? have I left something off or do I need to package and apply these? Some of the machines seem to pickup and update to this version after some time but I would have thought having enabled them on the JSS server they would present themselves to the client machines quite quickly?

The reason I ask is that I have now applied a Cocoa tick box selection to the updates applied to the client machines and I did one update now that picked up Safari and all the iTunes ones that it was out of date with but did not see the 10.9.5 update. This is a new macbook Pro Retina 13" which are generally in the group that pickup and apply the 10.9.5 update... eventually.. I was just wondering why it takes them so long to pull this info.

Thanks in advance for all advice henceforth.

4 REPLIES 4

nortonpc
Contributor

Is this through the appstore? I have seen some weirdness with the appstore and internal software update servers. Try opening terminal and running ```
sudo softwareupdate -l
``` I often see updates in terminal that I don't see in the gui. I have not been able to figure out why that happens.

Treger
Contributor

Yes, but even the machines are not having the update applied - for instance a lot of my machines that I imaged with 10.9.2 are still on it, they have not taken the 10.9.5 update that I have enabled. The more modern machines seem to be handing the updates better i.e. Retinas or the new Mac Pro's.... When I check via terminal they still don't see the major updates, just things like iTunes and security patches etc.... totally weird, would make more sense if they couldn't see my SUS at all...

nortonpc
Contributor

That is really strange, the only other time I saw something like this was when I issued that removedeprecated command to the SUS. Since we manage all the updates manually, one must remove the old updates from the server. http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23656?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

In our case the server had downloaded 10.9.5 but it was disabled. I removed deprecated updates which effectively removed any previous update. So the machines could not see anything other than 10.9.5 which was, of course not enabled.

One thing you could also try is to put in that SUS catalog URL into a browser and see if that update is even listed there for download. http://SUSADDRESS:8088/index-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

Treger
Contributor

Awesome, thanks! I will give that a go and post how I get on...