Syncing Software Update Servers

AdamH
New Contributor II

We've had about 3 SUSs for a while. So its been pretty easy to keep track of them- activating approved updates and such. We're expanding our infrastructure to include several more SUSs- is there a way to have them sync with a 'master' SUS so I only need to activate updates on 1 server and its replicated to the others?

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I posted how to do this one blog & have links to the Apple documentation there too.

http://macmule.com/2011/08/23/managing-apple-software-update-server-across-mulitple-servers-10-5-10-...

AdamH
New Contributor II

Hey, thanks for the info!
Looks like it should work... but alas its not.
I tried it on 3 boxes I have. 2 of them are not picking up any updates from the master, the other one is downloading ALL of them and enabling ALL of them.
The master is set to not download all updates from Apple- only the ones I select and copy- so I'm not sure where the other one is getting them from.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

What errors are the other 2 giving?

On the server that is downloading all updates what is the metaindexurl in the swupd.plist? Is it correct?

AdamH
New Contributor II

I'm not sure the problem here- I have the same path set for the server to get software updates- which it can reach and get updates. But using that path in the swupd.plist- I get the error that it can't connect to apple- but I can ping it.