System Image Utility - Error 2

boberito
Valued Contributor

This isn't quite a casper or jamf question, more of an Apple question but...here it goes.

I'm trying to create a Netboot Image, not a NetInstall and keep getting the dreaded "Error 2"

This is what I've done so far
I've booted into the machine I'm creating the image from and customized it.
-It boots and auto logs in as root
-Custom background picture
-A lot of unneeded things have been deleted (https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=847)
-Monolingual ran to shrink it down even more.
-Set Casper Imaging to auto launch

Everything is on 10.10.3, the host and the source.

Then I boot that machine into Target Disk Mode, connect it via Thunderbolt to another. I run System Image Utility, tell it to create a Netboot. It fails in the first step "Creating Disk Image" with the Error 2.

Thoughts? Help? Ideas? I've been slamming my head off the wall for a while with this one.

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@boberito have you tried AutoCasperNBI?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Use AutoCasperNBI. Problem solved. Not trying to be unhelpful, but it's a far easier and more reliable tool, in my experience.

boberito
Valued Contributor

With that tool can I use it after I've made my customizations and stuff? Is there any other things I need to do to prep it before hand?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Depends what your customizations are. AutoCasperNBI will create a NetBoot image with the root user enabled, and logs that user in by default.

You can add a desktop picture, packages and certificates to the AutoCasperNBI workflow. I typically customize the root users' Dock, Disk Utility (enable Debug Menu), Finder, and Safari preferences.

The great part about making your customizations "modular" (package/script) is that, when your base OS changes, you can just replace that piece and recreate using AutoCasperNBI.

I recommend using AutoDMG to create a never-booted, up-to-date OS image. Can use it with AutoCasperNBI as well as Casper Suite (as your base OS image).

A modular workflow like this makes it trivial to change/upgrade pieces...

--Robert