System Preferences Grayed Out - How?

Durkin
New Contributor II

First of all let me apologize in advance. I am very new to Jamf/Casper and Mac administration as a whole. I have inherited a Jamf managed environment where we are finding that several of the settings in System Preferences are grayed out. Specifically Energy Saver, Security and a few others. This is when we log in as a local admin, domain admin or any other user.

I'm looking for some help in determining what could be doing this as I need to be able to make changes to these settings. I do not see anything Configuration Profiles or Managed Preferences that appears to be doing this.

At the end of the day what I am trying to accomplish is to turn off sleep when the computers are plugged in and allow the local admin account to install any 3rd party software.

Any insight or guidance is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are you certain the JSS has no Config Profiles or MCX set up in it? Are these Pref Panes grayed out on all Macs or just some?
If they really aren't there, its possible the settings are applied locally and are just sticking around. First I'd check to see if there are local Configuration Profiles installed by running the following commands in Terminal.

profiles -C

and

profiles -Cv

The latter gives you extensive details on any profiles. The former just gives you a list of their identifiers.

See what may be there as a first step.

djwojo
Contributor

mm has a good jump point, and if not:

This could be a policy that is being applied with settings or a script. If that is the case you would need to reverse those actions.
Check under the JSS Settings > Computer management for scripts, and also under Computers > policies.

And welcome to JAMF. :)