Test environment

jorrig
New Contributor III

Just got my test environment hosted at Jamf Cloud up and running.

Now I am wondering how the rest of you have done when creating this:

1. Have you got a separate DEP connected to it?
  2. ASM or Business Manager, how about that?
  3. VPP?

Please share some best practices if you got any on the best way to set up a test environment.

4 REPLIES 4

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

If you are still using the legacy DEP Portal, I would highly suggest moving to ASM or ABM as it will be required here shortly. Within ASM or ABM, you can create multiple MDM Servers and assign devices for automated enrollment via the same portal. VPP is also handled nicely within ASM/ABM.

jorrig
New Contributor III

I am using ASM so that should not be any problems. Just curious how others have done with this. Since I have not had 2 mdm servers before, there should be some certificates that needs to be issued, how about that? Does it break something with my existing MDM "in production" server?

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

Nothing will break in your production server. Follow the steps here. You'll then be able to assign devices to that new MDM server.

spalmer
Contributor III

Do not share the same VPP tokens between the production and test servers. This will temporarily break the token on the production server and you will receive an error that another MDM server may be using your tokens. I think the same might happen with DEP tokens as well.

For that reason we have created new Content Manager accounts (for VPP tokens) in ASM for the test server, and new Site Manager accounts (for DEP tokens), specifically for the test server so they won't interfere with the production server.